• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Freestar 4.2 in a 2000 windstar.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Even as I type this I can feel glaring and hear scoffing, but here goes anyway:

I recently purchased a 2000 windstar to replace my wifes ailing 92 explorer that needs major work and with a second child on the way, more space for a second car seat is needed. I picked it up stupid cheap with an engine noise and thought a top end rebuild would do the trick. Got under it and found a tiny hole in the pan from the inside pushing out. Bottom line is it needs an engine. A direct replacement is gonna run me $700-900 with 125k plus miles. I did some looking and found a 4.2 from a freestar with 89k miles and a 3 yr warranty for $350. Did some research and found the main 3.8/4.2 differences to be intakes, crank, and rods. Cylinder heads are the exact same, so my intake will bolt on and work. The transmission behind each is the same with the 4.2 having updated internals and being sequential. The 2003 3.8 shares the same flexplate with the 4.2 and I found a site where someone described their use of a 2003 3.8 in a 1999 windstar. Theory says that if this works, and 03 3.8 shares 4.2 flexplate, then 4.2 flexplate SHOULD bolt to my torque conver. Exhaust manifolds are the exact same, so my factory exhaust should bolt right up.

If I take the 4.2 down to a longblock and use my 3.8 upper and lower intakes (heads are the same) and use my original wiring harness, then the swap should work. The only question is whether or not the flexplate and torque converter mate up. Does this sound like it will work to anyone else or am I way out in left field?

To make the warranty good I need to replace water pump, thermostat, intake gaskets and front and rear seals anyway, so I'm not adding much work by swapping intakes. It would have to be done with a direct replacement as well for warranty, so I'm not adding any cost there other than difference in parts which should be minimal. Halving my initial cost with three times the warranty and half or less miles seems like the way to go with increased torque and horsepower to boot.

Keep in mind I am Ford certified with almost 10 yrs professional experience, and 10 more prior to that of private experience. I've done a lot of research and can not find where this has been done, but I can't find anything saying it is impossible either. Looking for some help and more brains examining and researching because I'm about to go nuts. The van is clean, with all the options and nice touches that the explorer lacks. Has a third row seat, leather, rear heat and air, and it's not been wrecked as far as I can tell. Paint and body are in better overall shape than the explorer, and selling the explorer would pay off my 7.3 Excursion. I need some thoughts, I'll stop rambling now....

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well if the flex plates are the same between the two engines then the 4.2 plate will match your existing converter. It probably won't even kill the trans.

The first concern that pops to mind for me is fueling. If you use the 3.8 injectors on the 4.2, running with a 3.8 MAF and a 3.8 PCM, will that work, or will it think it's running lean because there is a difference in injector flow? If you use the 4.2 injectors and MAF that should take care of that. Bear in mind, I don't know if there is any real difference in the injectors or MAF, I'm just spit balling.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any difference in deck height?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well if the flex plates are the same between the two engines then the 4.2 plate will match your existing converter. It probably won't even kill the trans.

The first concern that pops to mind for me is fueling. If you use the 3.8 injectors on the 4.2, running with a 3.8 MAF and a 3.8 PCM, will that work, or will it think it's running lean because there is a difference in injector flow? If you use the 4.2 injectors and MAF that should take care of that. Bear in mind, I don't know if there is any real difference in the injectors or MAF, I'm just spit balling.
Injectors are same motorcraft number. MAF is different due to design change. I am assuming that with the injectors being the same, that the 3.8 ecm would read a higher flow from the MAF and increase pulse width to compensate which would in turn be monitored by the O2 sensors and it would learn this as the normal operating parameters.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Any difference in deck height?
Block shows to interchange from 2002 3.8 all the way to 2007 when they stopped production. The 4.2 started in 2004. The lower intake shows the same from 2000-2003 3.8 so this should mean that the deck height is the same and the 2000 3.8 lower would bolt onto a 2004 4.2 without needing spacers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals