• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front "live axle" CV axle interchange?

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
Guess I should’ve thought of all that too, I’m just curious how I’m supposed to know which cv axle to get because everywhere I go says they are interchangeable parts

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought the explorer axle was supposed to be longer? If not, why wouldn’t I just use my original cv axles with the new hubs?
The Explorer rear axle is wider. The front axle is practically the same.

What exactly are you trying to acomplish?

I assume that your 2000 currently has locking hubs instead of live axle? 2000 or 2001 (can't recall which) was the transition year so it was mixed a bit for that year model.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Guess I should’ve thought of all that too, I’m just curious how I’m supposed to know which cv axle to get because everywhere I go says they are interchangeable parts
I think the confusion comes from the fact that 2000 may have been a transition year. Some 2000 models came with PVH, while some might have come with live axles. As such the Explorer CV axle would be interchangable with some 2000 Ranger CV axles, but most part sites probably aren't going to get that specific.

Simple answer, to convert your truck to live axle get the 95-01 Explorer CVs or get 2001-2002 Ranger CVs.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2000 ranger, I am looking to swap the to live axle from an 00 explorer. I have new moog hubs picked out, but everywhere I look (auto parts stores), at cv axles, they all say that the 00 ranger and 00 explorer cv axles are interchangeable. I thought the explorer axle was supposed to be longer? If not, why wouldn’t I just use my original cv axles with the new hubs?
Are you sure you don't have a live axle already? All of the 2000s I have seen do.

Tomm1468

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
245/75R16
Yes, I know for sure I’m pulse vacuum, lol painfully, cuz I keep having to replace the vacuum lines to the hubs.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I believe the main body of the shafts are the same. The difference is how the outside stub engages the hub. The live axle has a spindle nut that gets tightened down to the hub face and the stub is also flanged to engage the flanges in the hub. So, the newer CV shafts should fit but you'll need to change the hub to the flanged style in order for them to work. That will probably require changing out the whole hub bearing assembly since the bearings are a pressed in style and the hub us pressed into the bearing. I've not had great success saving the original bearing when pushing out the bearing. The outer cone pushed out with the hub and has to be removed off the hub separately. Getting the bearing back together and having it run properly is possible but very tricky and easy to mess up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals