• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel line connections 1989 Ranger 2.9L

Larryg1957

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Needing some help/advice on the spring clip connectors at the fuel rail. I've popped several of these loose in the past using the disconnect tools, but I can not budge the ones on this truck. It's like none of the tools actually fit the connector. I've tried every way but the right way and was wondering if there is something different about these and what I'm doing wrong.

IMG_20231116_113224_011.jpgIMG_20231116_113250_957.jpgIMG_20231116_113417_837.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I never got mine off on my 86 either when I pulled the engine. Very frustrating. I ended up cutting the lines, and then heating the barb fittings later and pushing the plastic line back on. I used a very small hose clamp on it for extra insurance.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Dirt/rust/corrosion in the coupler.

Try soaking them in some penetrating oil and blow them out good. Twist them too to break the o rings free.

Larryg1957

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks very much for the replies.
Uncle Gump - Did not have any luck with the penetrating oil or twisting them. They've been drenched for a couple of days in PB Blaster and I've twisted them and got them moving fairly freely now.
Franklin2 - I'm afraid that might be my next move.
It's almost like the disconnect tools are not designed for these couplers but I can't find any other options.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thanks very much for the replies.
Uncle Gump - Did not have any luck with the penetrating oil or twisting them. They've been drenched for a couple of days in PB Blaster and I've twisted them and got them moving fairly freely now.
Franklin2 - I'm afraid that might be my next move.
It's almost like the disconnect tools are not designed for these couplers but I can't find any other options.
Keep trying at it.

I used those very tools on my 87 and it took some doing but it did pop off

Larryg1957

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Rusty
I will keep working at it. I was kinda looking for confirmation that I was using the right tools. I've taken many of these style couplers off in the past, some more difficult than others, but these are the worst I've ever encountered. Was wanting to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Thanks

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Have you already depressurized the fuel system via the schrader valve? Under pressure the fitting can bind the spring.

It can also help to push the fitting together as you work the tool to spread the spring.

And something I've done in the past for a reluctant spring-lock fitting is to take a strip of shim stock, wrap it around the tube and slide up under the spring, and then let the shim stock wanting to unwind push the spring back enough to get a release.

Some of these are just super tough.

Larryg1957

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
RobbieD - yes, system is depressurized. And I've pushed the fitting together working the tool. It's like the spring is behind the flared lip on the line and I can't get anything under it. I think this might be a better pic. This is why I curious if I was even using the correct tool. I have not tried the shim stock yet.

IMG_20231116_113315_618.jpg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It can be frustrating, but you'll get it.

On the shim stock, about 1 1/2 to 2 wraps, wiggle it to get under the spring then let it expand. Wear gloves! (don't ask . . . )

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals