• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump help please

hddave1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
im at the point in my v8 swap that i need to concider a fuel pump..i know alot of ppl run ele. but i would rather run a machanical fuel pump..the tech page say to use 1970-1973 Ford Econoline van with power steering..so i looked it up at autozone and this is what i see..... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Airtex-Master-Fuel-Pump/1972-Ford-E100-1-2-ton-Van/_/N-ipojrZ8vcz2?counter=1&itemIdentifier=193052_0_0_3492&vehicleIdForService=144341084 ....is this correct...now the 302 i have has a block off plate installed where the pump used to be...i didnt put it there so when i pull it off to install the pump, should there be a rod in there or should there be a fuel pump excintric on the cam..i just want to make sure that i have what is needed in the block to use the mech. pump..thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine had the hole filled in originally and it still had the eccentric on the cam to run a pump. The pump has a lever that goes in there and runs on the essenctric.

A mechanical pump of any sort wouldn't work on my setup, it would either hit the steering box or the powersteering pump/alternator. I put a $45 Mr Gasket inline pump on the frame rail (on an inertia kill switch and a toggle switch)

hddave1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
dont know much about ele. fuel pumps and the inertia kill switch .. you might have to coach me on this setup...that was why i wanted to use a mech fp

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My inerta kill switch is out of a '88 Ranger. It just has two wires, one that goes to keyed power and the other I ran to a toggle switch (on/off) and then to the power wire on the pump. My pump is mounted to the frame, so I just grounded it there.

The hardest part of the whole deal was cramming the barb fittings in the nylon fuel line.

jmcleek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I found tha the clamp part of a flair tool( the part that fits around the metal line) can be used to hold the nylon line when forceing the barbed fitting in to avoid kinking the line.

hddave1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
My inerta kill switch is out of a '88 Ranger. It just has two wires, one that goes to keyed power and the other I ran to a toggle switch (on/off) and then to the power wire on the pump. My pump is mounted to the frame, so I just grounded it there.

The hardest part of the whole deal was cramming the barb fittings in the nylon fuel line.
and this inerta kill switch kills the ele. pump in case of emergency..why did you wire to a toggle? why not just the key on power? not trying to be an ass but just trying to understand what your doing so i understand what im gonna do..im not gonna find a 88 ranger around here as far as junk yards go so where is it located in the 88 and can i rob one from another car/truck or can i just go buy a switch...but if i where to decide to go with a mech. pump could i remove the block off plate and reach my finger in there and feel the eccentric on the cam..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and this inerta kill switch kills the ele. pump in case of emergency..why did you wire to a toggle? why not just the key on power? not trying to be an ass but just trying to understand what your doing so i understand what im gonna do..im not gonna find a 88 ranger around here as far as junk yards go so where is it located in the 88 and can i rob one from another car/truck or can i just go buy a switch...but if i where to decide to go with a mech. pump could i remove the block off plate and reach my finger in there and feel the eccentric on the cam..
Because on my truck the key doesn't have an ACC position, so if I am sitting somewhere waiting for someone I don't have to worry at all of the pump overrunning the carb as I listen to the radio.

I also just like being able to control something like that.

The inertia switch is up on the passenger side floorboard above the carpet, it has a white reset button on top. Just about all efi RBVs have one in one shape or another in that area (at least first and second gens do)

The essentric is a round thing on the end of the cam, I think it also doubles as an oil slinger. You should have it, but check to make sure your FEAD will work with the pump.

hddave1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
ok..lol..im dumb but what is a FEAD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok..lol..im dumb but what is a FEAD
Front
Engine
Accessory
Drive

Basically it is your belt setup; crankshaft, water pump, power steering, alternator. On mine the power steering and alternator sit right where the inverted pump would go.

hddave1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
my power steering is on the driver side and the alternator is on the pass. side...looks like i have plenty of room as long as the gas lines hook up at top not at the bottom where the steering box is.. im running 2 v belts

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I found tha the clamp part of a flair tool( the part that fits around the metal line) can be used to hold the nylon line when forceing the barbed fitting in to avoid kinking the line.
Next time use an electric heat gun to soften the plastic line.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I pulled a entire tank out of an 87 for my 84. I replaced the intank fuel pump with a new one(low pressure for that year) and a inline fuel pressure regulator (running a Rochester QuadraJet) . Might not be an option for you, but might be an option sometime down the road

hddave1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
i went ahead and got a inline ele. fuel pump and its mounted and wired up but im going back and tie in a inertia kill switch as soon as i find one...thanks guys for all the advice

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals