• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Sender

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
949D2FAB-B68E-4B2B-8898-9456A2C79D87.jpeg
F03C61AB-5FA5-45E7-9E44-DEFC42B11195.jpeg

1984 long bed side mounted tank - ideally want an in-tank sender/pump to a regulator on the frame rail with a return line since carburetor only requires 5-7psi. The sender/float shown is what came out of the tank but I will need a cap with an in and out line. Any suggestions on what year sender is compatible and will work for my setup?

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Is the sending unit hole in your tank the small one that's about 2" wide or the big one that's about 4-5" wide? Looks like the small one?

If it's the big one you can use a sending unit from an '86-88 truck of the same wheelbase as those had a low pressure pump in the tank. Pretty easy, cap off the return side and add power.

If you have the small hole type tank, you could modify your sending unit for an electric pump... or run an external clicky clacky pump... or buy a gas tank for a newer truck with the sending unit I mentioned. I don't think there's a drop in sending unit w/ electric pump made for the small hole tanks.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
Is the sending unit hole in your tank the small one that's about 2" wide or the big one that's about 4-5" wide? Looks like the small one?

If it's the big one you can use a sending unit from an '86-88 truck of the same wheelbase as those had a low pressure pump in the tank. Pretty easy, cap off the return side and add power.

If you have the small hole type tank, you could modify your sending unit for an electric pump... or run an external clicky clacky pump... or buy a gas tank for a newer truck with the sending unit I mentioned. I don't think there's a drop in sending unit w/ electric pump made for the small hole tanks.
Correct - small hole. Is a clicky clacky like an in-line pump? Would a 2003 fit in my truck? https://southbend.craigslist.org/pts/d/la-porte-ford-ranger-fuel-tank-with-pump/7695502560.html

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pre-1989 Ranger fuel level senders use different OHMs then 1989 and up, so not interchangeable if you want the gauge to work, lol

No need for an IN and OUT line at the tank
You can use a low pressure pump, a lift pump, on existing assembly, just need to add a 2 wire connector on the plate

If you use an electric fuel pump on any carbureted engine I would use a relay and a oil pressure switch to activate fuel pump's 12v

Carburetors have a float bowl so don't need the fuel pump on to start
Then once started oil pressure with activate the fuel pump
This is safer than manual switch or key on activation

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
Pre-1989 Ranger fuel level senders use different OHMs then 1989 and up, so not interchangeable if you want the gauge to work, lol

No need for an IN and OUT line at the tank
You can use a low pressure pump, a lift pump, on existing assembly, just need to add a 2 wire connector on the plate

If you use an electric fuel pump on any carbureted engine I would use a relay and a oil pressure switch to activate fuel pump's 12v

Carburetors have a float bowl so don't need the fuel pump on to start
Then once started oil pressure with activate the fuel pump
This is safer than manual switch or key on activation
So the existing level sender I have will work but I need to add a low pressure lift pump and wire it accordingly to kick on when oil pressure picks up? Could you link a lift pump? Novice here so apologies for lack of knowledge.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

That is what is commonly referred to as a clicky clacky pump...once you hear it run you'll know why. It can just go in line somewhere, pretty easy.

A pump like that will work perfect for you without replacing the tank or sending unit you have now, there is a bit of noise to live with and in-tank pumps are quieter but harder to replace if they fail. Clicky clacky is easy.

Ron is correct about the sending unit ohm range, any sending unit after '88 will not read correctly on your dash. Newer tanks will require at least some modification to fit... may be easy, or not, I put an '88 tank in a '92 frame and had hours of strap modifications involved in making it fit.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"

That is what is commonly referred to as a clicky clacky pump...once you hear it run you'll know why. It can just go in line somewhere, pretty easy.

A pump like that will work perfect for you without replacing the tank or sending unit you have now, there is a bit of noise to live with and in-tank pumps are quieter but harder to replace if they fail. Clicky clacky is easy.

Ron is correct about the sending unit ohm range, any sending unit after '88 will not read correctly on your dash. Newer tanks will require at least some modification to fit... may be easy, or not, I put an '88 tank in a '92 frame and had hours of strap modifications involved in making it fit.
Ok that is the route I will go most likely for ease of use. I have heard these are not the most reliable - again just what I've heard so would it be best to order 2 and always keep a spare?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 on a diaphragm low pressure pump, mounted out side the tank in the frame rail, as they will have SUCTION, same as the engine mounted mechanical pumps have, which are also diaphragm pumps

Centrifugal pumps can do higher pressure but do not have suction so can not PULL fuel up and out of the gas tank, so they are used inside the gas tanks, immersed at the bottom of the tank

Yes, diaphragm pumps can be noisier than centrifugal pumps for sure
Not sure they are less reliable as far as the mechanics, but yes, cheaper parts can be less reliable

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
+1 on a diaphragm low pressure pump, mounted out side the tank in the frame rail, as they will have SUCTION, same as the engine mounted mechanical pumps have, which are also diaphragm pumps

Centrifugal pumps can do higher pressure but do not have suction so can not PULL fuel up and out of the gas tank, so they are used inside the gas tanks, immersed at the bottom of the tank

Not sure they are less reliable as far as the mechanics, but yes, cheaper parts can be less reliable
This clarified my understanding immensely

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Always have a spare pump on hand regardless of what type...

Nice thing about the diaphragm pumps is usually two hose clamps & one electrical connector, maybe a mounting bolt or two is all that's required to change it out. 10 minutes max.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

true. if using certain oem pumps..

but a 4070 style is much more reliable then a click clack.

i only use click clacks for temporary use.

high power efi applications a t rex style frame pump wont have any issues pulling fluid....

personally i would use the low psi in tank ranger pump.

you can make your own custom sending unit to do whatever you need.

otherwise a 4070 style carter with a fuel psi regulator returning to the tank. very reliable and will transfer fuel at i high rate if you configure it to do so.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
true. if using certain oem pumps..

but a 4070 style is much more reliable then a click clack.

i only use click clacks for temporary use.

high power efi applications a t rex style frame pump wont have any issues pulling fluid....

personally i would use the low psi in tank ranger pump.

you can make your own custom sending unit to do whatever you need.

otherwise a 4070 style carter with a fuel psi regulator returning to the tank. very reliable and will transfer fuel at i high rate if you configure it to do so.
Could I just use an ‘86 in tank pump? What changed that year?
6ECFE7FB-AC09-4093-B19A-DC315E34D298.png

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You certainly could use the '86 in tank pump, you just need the tank with it because '85 and later all had the big sending unit hole. That sending unit won't fit into your tank.

'86 was the first year of the super cab, that is the only relevant change besides EFI on the 2.9.

1984RESTOMOD

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" BODY LIFT
Tire Size
33"
You certainly could use the '86 in tank pump, you just need the tank with it because '85 and later all had the big sending unit hole. That sending unit won't fit into your tank.

'86 was the first year of the super cab, that is the only relevant change besides EFI on the 2.9.
Good deal may go try my local pick a part for a tank that has the larger hole.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
You can fit it in the small hole. It's a pain in the ass but definitely doable. Use the right hose and solder a tab to hang it.

That is not the hard part

Bulkheading a small wire pass-thru with the little area available is the shitty part. Really isolating power is all you need to worry about. Grounds can use a tiny machine screw/nut. I have done the oring and sheet plastic diy bulkhead as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals