• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel sending unit

Bobber64

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I need that fuel sending unit that AndyB has. Anyone know where to find one? I’m striking out.

Bobber64

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Awesome. I have a 85 2.8ltr. Thanks

Bobber64

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Crap just typed it in and it says it’s out of stock.

Bobber64

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well now that I read the instructions, they have 6. Thank You AndyB

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I ordered one as well. Now they have four.

Can the resistance be read any other place than just the sending unit itself? Mine will read full when full but reads empty when there's about 5 gallons still in the tank.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

Can the resistance be read any other place than just the sending unit itself? Mine will read full when full but reads empty when there's about 5 gallons still in the tank.
That's normal. They where not that accurate when they were new. And you will always have about a 3 gallon reserve that the sending unit will not show. As crude as the gauge is, + or - 2 gallons is not bad when the needle hits empty.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

I wouldn’t replace yours at this point, unless you have to drop the tank for another reason. Here’s a write up I did about calibrating the instrument voltage regulator after having replaced the gauge and sending unit:

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
@AndyB. I wasn't planning to replace my sending unit as I have no reason to drop the tank (although, given how easy it is to remove the bed, that's probably the way I'd go about it. You still have to loosen the straps as the sending unit is kind of tucked under the cab). I just wanted an o.e. part as a spare. Thanks for the link, I'll have a read. (y)

That's normal. They where not that accurate when they were new. And you will always have about a 3 gallon reserve that the sending unit will not show. As crude as the gauge is, + or - 2 gallons is not bad when the needle hits empty.
I let the needle reach "E" and also noted the mileage on the trip odometer. When I did go fill it, it took 13.5 gallons so I now have a pretty good idea of what my 'reserve' is.

Bobber64

Ford Technician
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I had to replace the fuel tank that sat for 13 years with nasty gas in it. It was pretty easy but I sprayed the strap bolts down with krill oil ahead of time. The challenge is the rear strap bolt. I broke it loose and used a 13mm ratchet wrench and worked it back and forth to drop the strap. If you break that bolt you would have to lift the bed to replace it or try and use a short bolt and install it the opposite direction. My new sending unit seems to be accurate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals