• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel System Questions for 2.3T Swap

briansz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got lucky this weekend on a trip to the junkyard. I found a '92 4-banger Ranger with the bed pulled off and the tranny removed. It was trivial to pull the whole high pressure fuel line setup from the tank to the motor.

Since I had gone to the boneyard for sheet metal, I did not have metric sockets with me to pull the fuel rail (doh!) and had to hacksaw the lines upstream of the coupling and downstream of the rail.

Since my truck is an '83, I now have no idea which line goes where on the fuel rail. I do have an EFI tank and pump/sender from an '87.

Obviously the line with the fuel filter will be the supply line at the tank. Which port on the rail should it be hooked to?

Also, will the stock EFI Ranger fuel filter flow enough for a Walbro pump and the 2.3T, or should I be looking for something different?

I'm doing bodywork and paint on the truck now, but should be able to mock up the 2.3T indoors and get it started and running before the weather gets lousy this fall. I'll worry about swapping it in once I see it run.

Thanks!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the big line is the supply, small line is the return

briansz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Argh, more challenges

Cool, thanks for the help. Only problem now is that the n/a 2.3 fuel rail had about 8" of lines dropping from it to interface with the lines coming up from the tank at a disconnect fitting. I brought the 2.3t intake and rail home from storage and it has the disconnects right on the rail. My lines from the n/a EFI Ranger won't be long enough to reach it. Anybody know where I can get a coupler/short hose or have one made?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
it's not the right solution, but here's what I did (ran into the same thing, but the other way around, different fittings between the two):

go to the hardware store and get yourself about 8 feet of each 5/16" and 3/8" high pressure fuel hose and 6 #2 or #6 hose clamps. take the fuel lines apart near the fuel filter down on the frame rail, put the large line on the fuel filter outlet and go to the large line on the fuel rail, push the line on far enough to go over the bumps, you might have to expand the line a little with needle nose pliers (use them backwards). same with the return line, use two clamps on each end of the high pressure line, return line just one is fine. This is plenty sufficient even if it doesn't sound like it...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
just noticed part of your earlier post about the fuel filter, they use that filter behind v8's so it's plenty sufficient

the stock ranger fuel pumps have the same flow rate as the T bird...

briansz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just noticed part of your earlier post about the fuel filter, they use that filter behind v8's so it's plenty sufficient

the stock ranger fuel pumps have the same flow rate as the T bird...
OK, cool. I just don't want to lean things out under boost if I only need a better filter to avoid it. Think I get the picture about what you're saying with the lines ahead of the filter. If I can't find somebody to make me some extensions for a reasonable price, that's probably what I'll end up trying.

Since I only have the electric pumps from the '87 EFI Ranger (low pressure in the tank, high pressure on the frame rail) I going to pick up an in-tank Walbro (or clone) and be done with it. The lines from the '92 are designed to work with an in-tank pump, not one on the frame rail.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals