• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas mileage?????

jds4racing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey can any1 tell me what kind of fuel mileage i should be getting in a reg cab 2.3l w/5-speed im getting about 20mpg in town i think thats kinda low for a 4cyl and anything i can add to it to get some better fuel mileage- thanks

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
In city 20mpg? Nope your good. It isn't a civic you know...

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i started getting 20mpg with winter fuel. 25-30mpg in summer.

you're fine

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tune ups always help... check air and fuel filter, tire pressure, allignment... but 20 is pretty good!

Rackster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Decent, but probably should be better

20 around town isn't too bad. It's really contingent on several factors though (number of lights/stops, hills, speed limits, weather, your driving habits, status of your tune up, extra weight in the cab/bed, etc). With a stick, I would guess that you should be doing better, even on winter fuel mixtures. With an automatic around town (with plenty of hills and stops), I'm getting around 23.5 mpg. I think that your numbers should be better than mine and more in line with Brutus' summer numbers. Cold is another factor that bites at the mpg's as well. Try to avoid long warm ups and try to pulse and glide (especially as the engine is warming up; give gas in gear, and then coast). Also, if you are so inclined, purchase an Ultragauge or the like to give you realtime feedback on your driving and truck performance. Learning where best to shift, where the torque is best, and where you can take the best advantage of when to give gas and when to hold off will help.

Good luck!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ I agree. I'm running an '85 b-II with a 4.0, 4.10 gearing and 31" Baja Claws. In town [delivering pizzas] I'm getting 18.75 mpg[us], 22.5 mpg[imp], 12.6 L/100Km. I'm not easy on it, especially in the snow. I like fish-tailing and I take off from stop lights fairly quick and usually go over the speed limit by 10%. But I do look ahead and coast [or accelerate if necessary] to try and get a green light.

Richard

rangermanmark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
my 96 2.3 reg cab 5-speed seems to be getting worse mileage when its colder, and my truck is very cold natured. I think i may end up getting a warmer thermostat

Rackster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Warmer engine means better MPGs

my 96 2.3 reg cab 5-speed seems to be getting worse mileage when its colder, and my truck is very cold natured. I think i may end up getting a warmer thermostat
I think that will help. I read at http://www.hotrodhigh.ca/2300Heat.html that the 2.3 Limas like to run hotter. I can also say that when the engine is cold, gas mileage is rather low (<12 mpgs). Once the engine comes to temperature, the MPGs return (>20 mpgs). I find that it usually takes me 3-5 miles to get the engine to warm up where it performs optimally. Pulsing and gliding helps to get the engine up to temperature, which is easier with a manual tranny. However, it works with an auto tranny as well.

Good luck Mark!

Kevin

rangermanmark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I can go out and start my truck, put it all the way over on HOT with the defroster, fan all the way up.....let it idle and fully melt the ice off all my windows and my temp gauge will be buried all the way down on cold.....drive about 10 mins and the temp will only come up MAYBE a quarter of the way up on the temp gauge at most!

I plan on getting a PAINLESS Fan Relay W/Thermostat once i ditch my clutch fan and put my electric fan on (along with the hotter thermostat) may not be these exact temps....but painless is soooo nice! http://www.jamesoaksenterprises.com/products/painless.htm

Rackster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like a bad thermostat

I had a failing thermostat about a year ago. Got luke warm in the cabin, but the windows would defrost. I changed it out in the spring - lots of hot air and now the gauge is in the right spot. Like you, my gauge would stay on C all day long, but after the change, in the middle.

My stat is at 190 degrees - stock OEM replacement. Change the gasket when you do the stat. A small price for peace of mind.

Kevin

rangermanmark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yea last time i did alot of maintenance on my truck i think i put a little bit cooler thermostat in.....cause im use to having cars that run a little warmer.....think i would change it out for a 190-195

Rackster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hotter should be ok

From what I read, you should be fine. But it's also widely held that keeping it at 190 is the right thing to do. Choice is up to you.

Kevin

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey can any1 tell me what kind of fuel mileage i should be getting in a reg cab 2.3l w/5-speed im getting about 20mpg in town i think thats kinda low for a 4cyl and anything i can add to it to get some better fuel mileage- thanks
Is it all stock (no lift, tires, gears, etc)?

When my 95 2.3 was all stock I could pull 26+ in town easily, hot or cold, and thats driving normally, not like a grandma.

Now I have 30 in tires and I'm still gettin 24+ all the time

P.S: 97% of my driving is city, or under 50 mph

Rackster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice Numbers!

Is it all stock (no lift, tires, gears, etc)?

When my 95 2.3 was all stock I could pull 26+ in town easily, hot or cold, and thats driving normally, not like a grandma.

Now I have 30 in tires and I'm still gettin 24+ all the time

P.S: 97% of my driving is city, or under 50 mph
Nice numbers Rose! Are these with a MT or AT?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals