• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas tank swap from '91 4.0L to 87' 2.9L

greaseandmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a plastic gas tank pulled from a 91 4.0l that i want to put in my 87 2.9l. The 4.0l appears to have a single in tank fuel pump at 65 psi with 18 gph. While my 2.9l has an in-tank pump at 7 psi with 15 gph plus an in-line pump at 45 psi with 30-40 gph. Adding 7 to 45 yields 52 psi, which is 13 psi lower than the pump in the 4.0l fuel tank.

So question, do I:

a) Use the pump from the new tank and bypass my in-line pump, because the extra pressure won't hurt anything.

b) Try to put my in-tank pump from the 2.9l in the 4.0l tank.

or c) Go **** in my hand, cuz it just ain't gonna work.

Another factor to consider is i'm trying to get my fuel gauge working, I believe its the sender unit because I've tested the gauge itself. Plus the new tank is bigger and plastic so won't rust.

oksleeper

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1985
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 bangers for now
Transmission
Manual
Go with the bigger pump the regulator will take care of the excess pressure

echo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I've done this already and have put a post about it on this forum. I think you'll find that the plastic tank rides higher then the metal one in the 87. You may have issues with it rubbing against the bottom of the bed. Either tank you can run your engine off of using just the in tank pump from the 91. I'm doing that in my 87 right now. Just pulled out the inline pump and replaced it with fuel hose. You can't swap sender units though. If you keep the metal tank issue it's sender unit but put the pump from the 91 on it.

greaseandmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Awesome, thanks for the info guys.

Will try to repair old sender unit, then check if the plastic tank fits. If it fits then I'll put the repaired sender unit on the new tank assembly.

echo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Just remember the sender unit from the metal tank won't fit in the plastic and vise versa. You've to use the sender unit that came with said tank. You can swap pumps if needed and the wiring connection is the same for both sender units.

greaseandmetal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I'll have to swap my gauge if I use the new sender unit? I read the ohms are different and backwards. The new sender unit reads high ohms empty and the old one high ohms full.

echo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure on that one cause I used the sender unit that came with my 87. Just used the newer pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals