• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Go for Rebuild or Stick a Fork in it?

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, my transmission is going out. I should be thankful I got a year's use out of it before it came to this. I figure I might get a few more months out of it with some tender driving.

But let's be real, this is a 1987 Ford Ranger that even if it had a good trans in it, I might be able to get $2,200 on craigslist at best.

So the thought of tossing $900-$1,600 for a rebuild is hard to swallow. I have received several quotes and it kind of goes like... $900-$1000 gets you a soft parts rebuild and TC. $1500-$2000 gets you everything you need.

I found a shop here that does heavy duty rebuilds for $1600 and gives them a 3 year/75,000 mile warranty.

Any thoughts on getting this done cheaper that does not include rebuilding the transmission myself?

Thanks

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its a tough job, but a manual swap would be cheap.

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
its a tough job, but a manual swap would be cheap.
I'm interested. Only problem here is this is my daily driver. So for me to do the swap would be out of the question. I wonder if any shops around here would touch that? I know there are plenty of threads on this.

Curious, in your broadest estimate, how "Cheap" could the auto-to-manual swap be done?

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
probably not you could do it in a weekend with some help and all the parts ready to go in

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, as i recently heard in some movie...

"Perhaps, if there is no way out, you must go further in"

I can't just turn away after dumping $3000 into this thing over the last year. I will rebuild you, better - faster - strong - than before!!!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
a Heavy duty rebuild on EITHER of the stock manual transmissions should hopefully come with both a "reach around", a kiss on the cheek and flowers the next morning with the job...

Swapping to THE ("THE" only trans worth swapping to) later transmission the Mazda isn't horrific
if you have all your ducks in a row before you start on it...

AD

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
a Heavy duty rebuild on EITHER of the stock manual transmissions should hopefully come with both a "reach around", a kiss on the cheek and flowers the next morning with the job...

AD
I presume that is to say you think $1,600 is way too much for a rebuild? What is reasonable? Not many folks offer 3year/75,000 and if that costs a few hundred extra... worth it maybe?

Of course, plenty of used 4x4 Jeeps/Rangers out there on craigslist at $1500-$2500. Only problem, who knows what suprises I may get down the road. I think my Ranger will be strong after the new tranny.

Last edited:

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I swapped to a 5 speed about 4 years ago in my Bronco2 this is a rough estimate of what I paid for everything
pedals + clutch line + shifter + shiftboot + plate under shifter $40
tranny $250
new master cylinder $60
new slave cylinder $80
new flywheel $60
clutch kit $80
for a total of $570 roughly and at the time I couldn't get an automatic tranny for under $500, plus this route seemed more reliable. If you pick up parts ahead of time and have your tools in order you should be able to get it done in a weekend easily. It's really not a whole lot more difficult than putting an automatic back up there.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
find a complete donor vehicle with a blown engine for free. thats what I did.

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe it's because I've only owned this thing a year, but I cannot justify spending $1,500 (average rebuild quote) on a truck worth maybe that at best.

And so I say, I'll ride it till she drops and start looking into another 4x4. Seriously, for $3000 I have A LOT to choose from on craigslist. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals