• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good price? '94 Ranger V6 4x4 - $4900

victory_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
434082315_7228674320535587_3798272345944272196_n.jpg

Trying to get a gauge on prices. Not many 4x4 small pickups around my area for comparison. Should I run and buy it? Selling at a small local dealership so they don't have mx history on it.

It's in really good shape, a few expected cosmetic issues. Leaking a little oil.

- Ford Ranger 4x4
- Clean title- 185,500 miles
- V6 4.0 liter
- 5 speed manual transmission
- No Ac but Heater works excellent
- Tires are almost new

Thank you!

victory_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Update: Pulled the carfax. Clean but not a lot of reported maintenance. Regular oil changes, etc and cylinder head gasket and spark plugs a couple of years ago. Frame and body are in excellent shape.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
That's not too bad of a price for these days.

Plusses (in my opinion) that I can see: manual transmission, factory fog lamps and a front brush guard. Factory deerprint wheels; I think that they should be 15" on a 4WD.

If I was shopping, that one would be a consideration.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Location means a lot. Around me that would be pretty good.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's maybe a little strong, but nice ones that old are hard to find so its tough to quibble over a few hundred bucks when you might not see another nice one available for a year.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Looks pretty straight for 30 years old from that picture other than the rocker being pushed up but that's easy to do and easy to pull back out... or just leave it...

Bit much on miles but the 4L is a good engine, oil leaks could be easy or tough, easy would be valve cover gaskets or loose oil pan bolts, harder would be bad front or rear main, assuming the overheating wasn't too severe to get hot spots on the cylinder walls...

Touch high on price but like ruby mentioned they're not common that straight anymore...

victory_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Thanks, y'all. Next 4x4 ranger in town is a 2002 for $10K, so I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this one tomorrow. I'll let you know if I take it home. Excited to join the Ranger family!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I paid 3K cash for my 93 in 06 (closest brother you will get to a 94) and it had 234K miles, 15inch deer hoofs and 265's, and I've been working on it ever since, hoping one it'll be a masterpiece, haha, or a close faxsimily there-of ;)

I left out the good part, in 06 I was looking only at Rangers and 150s of that era, early 90s, as those years were built at times at a loss, due to foreign competition being so intense, and I liked the idea of American made, even tho I later learned the 4.0 was Cologne

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@victory_ranger ,
If you can expand your search area a little...I bought a 94 just 18 months ago for $550, just north of Seattle. It was strait except for a bend in the front bumper, no rust, reasonably clean inside; missing the front seats which are $60/set from the yard and the manual hubs.

With 8 bolts ($8), a set of used Explorer Recaro front seats ($60) and a set of hubs ($120) and a tank of premium it was on the road!!

Though I am not a fan of silver automobiles, that Ranger does look nice, strait and clean. I feel if you look across the border unless you want it near mint, there are PLENTY of used Rangers in both Oregon/Washington to save some duckets on ..)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually the scenario I presented was in the middle of a large metropolitan area, Nashville TN to be exact. I was wanting a Ranger or a 150, and those were my targets.

I came by my information by keeping up with the news. The early and mid 90s had been hard on Ford, with Nissans, Toyotas, and every other brand running rampant.
Ford was selling the two models I was chasing at near cost when they were offered, and they were still a good buy in 2006.

I had looked at one which was a stereo on wheels and the dude appeared insulted I had not jumped out of my then truck, a 77 Ranger rustbucket, painted over with 99cent spray cans, he appeared to be thinking I should been waving stacks of money at him and his son.

Others I looked at, on a Sunday morning were sitting on their respective car lot, virtually alone, and each of them got the required finger swipe to the tailpipe, each one coming up a muddy black, and each priced $3000.

I read the papers every day and not much activity on my target models, then one morning I was awake very early and took off to downtown, where I sat in front of the Newspaper office as the first papers were brought out front to the paper stand. I headed to Shoney's across the freeway to look it over some coffee.

There was a new ad for a 93 and just after 8 AM I called. The young lady who answered was hoping no early calls but ohwell, I was soon headed 40 miles to a suburb, she was a sherrifs dispatcher and had just gotten off the night shift.

It had not been listed as a 4WD but she went back inside for something and I immediately looked underneath and saw a transfer case, they had not advertised 4WD due to the electric shift motor being inoperative

After looking it over and the shortest test drive in history I asked if she would follow me home so I could leave my other truck which she did. She also liked the idea we could stop right by my bank and get the money, which we did, I walked out of there with 30 Shiny new $100 bills

It had 214,000 miles on it but had been very well maintained, mostly all highway miles

That is basically why I paid what I paid and not felt bad about it :)
And of course my first chore was to be a new clutch ;)

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Looks to be in solid shape. It wouldn't bother me at all to spend that on a clean truck if it's one you like.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
Looks like a good price to me, too. Check the front because the bumper looks misaligned so they may have bumped someine or something with that brush guard, but i would definitely consider that truck, especially being a stick

victory_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Actually the scenario I presented was in the middle of a large metropolitan area, Nashville TN to be exact. I was wanting a Ranger or a 150, and those were my targets.

I came by my information by keeping up with the news. The early and mid 90s had been hard on Ford, with Nissans, Toyotas, and every other brand running rampant.
Ford was selling the two models I was chasing at near cost when they were offered, and they were still a good buy in 2006.

I had looked at one which was a stereo on wheels and the dude appeared insulted I had not jumped out of my then truck, a 77 Ranger rustbucket, painted over with 99cent spray cans, he appeared to be thinking I should been waving stacks of money at him and his son.

Others I looked at, on a Sunday morning were sitting on their respective car lot, virtually alone, and each of them got the required finger swipe to the tailpipe, each one coming up a muddy black, and each priced $3000.

I read the papers every day and not much activity on my target models, then one morning I was awake very early and took off to downtown, where I sat in front of the Newspaper office as the first papers were brought out front to the paper stand. I headed to Shoney's across the freeway to look it over some coffee.

There was a new ad for a 93 and just after 8 AM I called. The young lady who answered was hoping no early calls but ohwell, I was soon headed 40 miles to a suburb, she was a sherrifs dispatcher and had just gotten off the night shift.

It had not been listed as a 4WD but she went back inside for something and I immediately looked underneath and saw a transfer case, they had not advertised 4WD due to the electric shift motor being inoperative

After looking it over and the shortest test drive in history I asked if she would follow me home so I could leave my other truck which she did. She also liked the idea we could stop right by my bank and get the money, which we did, I walked out of there with 30 Shiny new $100 bills

It had 214,000 miles on it but had been very well maintained, mostly all highway miles

That is basically why I paid what I paid and not felt bad about it :)
And of course my first chore was to be a new clutch ;)
You were incredibly dedicated! Nice find! What a cool story. I will definitely check out all of your past posts.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My profile photo was the first month I had it ;)

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
4900 seems more then fair IMO for that truck.

185k is a bit on the high side but that wouldnt worry me a whole lot.

Dont sweat the maintence records...only certain shops get reported on there...and being a 94 id bet stuff like oil changes were done in the backyard.

If the fluids look good (athough being at a dealer its pry been serviced), and it feels good and "tight", and your finger comes back clean when you swipe the inside of the tailpipe...id buy it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals