• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Green Lily Recreation

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
So, the plan is to make my truck a BAMF BEAST!

Step one: Re-build engine, seeing as how there's 315K miles.

Step one question: I would like to put a header, What is a good brand to order from, or should I just build one myself?:icon_confused:

The only other time I installed a custom header was on a 94 Acura Integra. Man the was a pain in my @$$, it didn't wannt fit!

Step two: TURBO!?!?! I like speed... can't help it. (earned the title of "Fastest Woman on Ice" Snowmachine Radar Race. 87.5 on a quarter mile *low octane.)

Step two Question:....where can I find/order turbos? (Remember I'm in Alaska and most places wont ship up here cause they're retardos.

Step three: LIFT!!! (no, not a lame @$$ body lift, I mean LIFT!)

Step three question: How much of a lift? I can't do much of a lift because I'm 5 inches above midget hieght. (stop laughing.)

Step four: Rims, I got ugly lame 14" rims. I majorly dislike them. I would like to put some fatty tires on my truck after I lift it.

Step four Question: If I wanna lift, and get fatties, what size rim should I be getting? currently I can't go to too many different Rim or tire size since the tires would end up brushing the wheel well. BUT depending on the lift.... what are my options? (I am no good with rim:tire ratios... so explain in detail.)

Step five:SPRAY PAINT! Sand the body down (possibly finding BAHA fenders, and new bed. Lima found a few holes in the bed... time for a new one.) I already know EXACTLY how I wanna paint my truck. and That I will keep a surprise. :thefinger:

Engine from side view.

Me in engine.

Photo credit: Lima Bean

:icon_cheers:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't worry about a header if you plan on a turbo 2.3L as you'll be removing the header anyway. Its easiest to find a turbocoupe, SVO mustang, Merkur XR4Ti, ect... complete vehicle. This gives you access to all the small parts you need and allows you to view the complete engine as it sits (which gives you good ideas if you've never done this before). Just bolting a turbo onto a Ranger 2.3L won't do much but melt your pistons. The technical library has a few articles pertaining to 2.3L turbo swaps. A buddy has one and it runs surprisingly well for a 4 cyl.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Get a salvage yard manifold off a 95-97 2.3l. Those are pretty much like a header and flow better than a manifold. You can't have mine though. :thefinger:

But if you want to turbo do some reading here:

http://www.turborangerforums.com/

That'll help you out.

As for a lift, depends on what you need your truck to do. But however, since you are short like me, I'd say a 4" lift and 31's will do great. Unless you want to put nerf bars on it just to be able to get in, that's what I'd suggest. If you go 6" lift, that'll give you room for 33's but then your talking major regearing of the axle as you know that the 2.3 does not have a lot of power to spare to begin with. I guess it all depends on your budget and what you want the truck to do.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
That is a cool step setup.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Well I know that puttin a turbo on the truck, i'd have to do all kinds of thing to make it work, primarely pistons.

I think I'll have to drive all the way out to Eagle River or Wasilla to find scraps. (no good junk yard in Anchorage. Fairbanks is where all the good parts are, but that's 400 miles north of me.)

Mp3, do you have a picture you can post of your lift? I was thinking that even a 3 inch lift would be too much... I'm 5'1.

I still want my truck to be street legal but also be able to go mudding and bust through some silty river beds.

I was also thinking of bolting a bench seat in the bed of my truck and putting half a rag top over the bed, and make a legal bench seat in the bed. the only thing I don't like about my truck is the standard cab.

What's good on this site?
http://www.andysautosport.com/

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I don't have a lift on mine but a buddy of mine use to have an Edge with a 3" lift and 32's and that was plenty tall for me. And I'm about 5'2". But the Edges sit at a 4wd height so I would consider a 4wd about 2-3" taller than a 2wd so about 4-5" of lift and 31's would be slightly shorter than my buddy's old truck. That's how I figure 4" of lift and 31's would work great. Not only that the 4 banger can handle 31's better and it would be a good height for me to be able to climb up into. Not only that I need to kind of stay within the allowed amount of lift I can add in Wisconsin, so it works out perfect. This is what I'm planning for my new truck, hopefully this summer. And if I need it higher, I will plan on getting aluminum coil spacers which I've been wanting to try on my older truck along with some lift shackles. I dunno, sometimes I go on ranting, if I confused you, ask questions. I'll answer them.

One of my buddies ordered from Andy's Auto Sport once, as I recall he did not have too much trouble with them. I think you will be fine. What kind of accessories are you looking for anyhow?

Last edited:

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
I want lights and I deffinately need new bumpers. My driver's side taillight is currently... distroyed (I DIDN'T DO IT! bought it that way.)

I don't want to lift it as high as I can, I just don't want it to look wimpy. It's look stupid with the current tire size and height...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fairbanks is where all the good parts are
Haha, if only I knew where to find them. Ive pretty much had to start my own junkyard in the process of my engine conversion.

Good luck on your turbo swap, I considered it but somebody just gave me a wreck with a decent 4.0.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
for your baja fenders

http://www.mcneilracinginc.com/off-road-fiberglass/ford/ranger/

you really want speed????????? 351 or a 32 valve intec swap. sorry but a turbo'd 4 cyl just wont do it for you, might for somebody else, but I doubt a turbo'd 4 will get your goat.
AHHH YEAH!! those are SIIICK!! Dude that white one piece is PERFECT!! just what I want. Ah man.... that one piece is gonna make me have dirty dreams!!! LOL!!! perfect! :icon_rofl::icon_cheers:

Nate W.

August 2012 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Lift idea.

Here's a 2" Susepension lift, it's older than yours, but it will give you an idea.:dunno:

I'm 5'5" and have no problems getting in.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Here's a 2" Susepension lift, it's older than yours, but it will give you an idea.:dunno:

I'm 5'5" and have no problems getting in.

Nice clean truck, i love seeing old well taken care of rigs

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
So, the plan is to make my truck a BAMF BEAST!

Step one: Re-build engine, seeing as how there's 315K miles.

Step one question: I would like to put a header, What is a good brand to order from, or should I just build one myself?:icon_confused:

The only other time I installed a custom header was on a 94 Acura Integra. Man the was a pain in my @$$, it didn't wannt fit!

Step two: TURBO!?!?! I like speed... can't help it. (earned the title of "Fastest Woman on Ice" Snowmachine Radar Race. 87.5 on a quarter mile *low octane.)

Step two Question:....where can I find/order turbos? (Remember I'm in Alaska and most places wont ship up here cause they're retardos.

Step three: LIFT!!! (no, not a lame @$$ body lift, I mean LIFT!)

Step three question: How much of a lift? I can't do much of a lift because I'm 5 inches above midget hieght. (stop laughing.)

Step four: Rims, I got ugly lame 14" rims. I majorly dislike them. I would like to put some fatty tires on my truck after I lift it.

Step four Question: If I wanna lift, and get fatties, what size rim should I be getting? currently I can't go to too many different Rim or tire size since the tires would end up brushing the wheel well. BUT depending on the lift.... what are my options? (I am no good with rim:tire ratios... so explain in detail.)

Step five:SPRAY PAINT! Sand the body down (possibly finding BAHA fenders, and new bed. Lima found a few holes in the bed... time for a new one.) I already know EXACTLY how I wanna paint my truck. and That I will keep a surprise. :thefinger:

Engine from side view.

Me in engine.

You might want to look at this another option for a turbo
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18291

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Me in engine.

I could never figure out what the heck you were doing with a torch that close to your battery. Now that I have seen the fullsize pic I can tell that was a trebble light...

If you were to leave it as a 2wd looking street truck, a 2.3T would be a riot. Given your location and intentions a V8 would probably be easier but even then parts may be hard to come by.

For the record a 4wd is two inches higher than a 2wd.

My 4x4 has 4" of lift, my 5'-2" mother has a fit whenever she rides in it so I would stay below 6" anyway. Being 6'-3" it is just about right for me although longer doors would make folding my legs as I ingress and egress a little easier...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals