• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

H & R single-shot shotguns

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so it has to be a pistol magazine that works in a rifle, it cannot be actually designed for use in both.
Yep.

I mean legal in Canada... A lot of the *fun* stuff isn't....

No dragons breath, no armor-piercing incediary, (Nothing incediary of any sort) bolo shot (two balls connected by a small wire) flechette... All illegal here.
Tracers are legal, that's about it. People who reload shotgun shells though put all kinds of crazy things in them.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
, and I use flechette for turkey hunting. You can get jungle rounds and different ones that have mixed shot in them, since they are not too exotic. Can you even have less than lethal rounds? Like concussive ones and bean bags?
Flechette is the one particular one that it saddens me I can't use. It just seems like a lot of fun lol
Dragons Breath would also be fun to play with too a few times...

Im really not sure about non-lethal rounds. In Canada, gun ownership is all about hunting purposes... So if its designed for home defense, theres a good chance we dont get it.

Im not really sure what laws say about reloading your own stuff... I still need to look into that.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Flechette is the one particular one that it saddens me I can't use. It just seems like a lot of fun lol
Dragons Breath would also be fun to play with too a few times...

Im really not sure about non-lethal rounds. In Canada, gun ownership is all about hunting purposes... So if its designed for home defense, theres a good chance we dont get it.

Im not really sure what laws say about reloading your own stuff... I still need to look into that.
Just move to america, you can have anything you want except a full auto, but even then with a license you can have one.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pretty much normal ones are a just shaped heavy lead, sabots are lead cored, or have copper jackets with a plastic sabot tip. Having a rifled barrel increases accuracy drastically but even without a rifled barrel they are more accurate.
Rifled slugs are meant to shot out of only a smooth barrel. They have the "rifling" cast into the slug to cause it to spin in the barrel and going through the air. This rarely matches rifing in the barrel if you have a rifled barrel and can make them pattern goofy. Sometimes it works out but usually it is less than ideal. Max range IMO is 100-150yds out of a smooth barrel.

Sabots (at $10+ per 5) are meant for a rifled barrel. There is nothing to spin them in a smooth barrel... basically you have a musket. 150-200yds is what people consider their max range in a rifled barrel.

There are some slugs that are marketed as working in both smooth and rifled barrels, my smoothbore likes Breneke KO slugs about as well as my brothers rifled barrel does.

Shooting a slug through a choke makes me cringe. I have heard others do it, you have the intial bang as the gun goes off then a weird thump when the choke farts the slug out. I don't know what they had for chokes but I didn't like it. :fie:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Rifled slugs are meant to shot out of only a smooth barrel. They have the "rifling" cast into the slug to cause it to spin in the barrel and going through the air. This rarely matches rifing in the barrel if you have a rifled barrel and can make them pattern goofy. Sometimes it works out but usually it is less than ideal. Max range IMO is 100-150yds out of a smooth barrel.

Sabots (at $10+ per 5) are meant for a rifled barrel. There is nothing to spin them in a smooth barrel... basically you have a musket. 150-200yds is what people consider their max range in a rifled barrel.

There are some slugs that are marketed as working in both smooth and rifled barrels, my smoothbore likes Breneke KO slugs about as well as my brothers rifled barrel does.

Shooting a slug through a choke makes me cringe. I have heard others do it, you have the intial bang as the gun goes off then a weird thump when the choke farts the slug out. I don't know what they had for chokes but I didn't like it. :fie:
Yeah, shooting out of chokes isn't best, but a modified one or improved one seems to be fine, full maybe not, but when you can't take it out, there's not much you can do except not shoot them.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I seen non-lethal rounds for sale, I wouldn't put them and self defense in the same sentence. If I'm shooting in self defence, I'm looking to end the threat immediately and quickly.

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I had a 20 gauge Pardner single shot and it was a nice little gun for what I paid ($80?). For your needs you would be better off with the 26" modified barrel as it would be a better "overall" setup. As 85_Ranger said, I cringe when people shoot slugs through choke tubes more than Improved Cylinder. Shooting sabot slugs in a smoothbore barrel is a waste of a lot of $$, especially since most cost $15 for a box of 5. IMO, you would be best off looking for a used Browning BPS 20 gauge if you could swong the money. Bottom eject, thumb safety, and removeable choke tubes would be ideal for you. Should be able to find one in the $250-$300 and they are just a lot better built gun. If that is out of price range, the pardner is a fine little single shot which you'll have lots of fun with :icon_thumby:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I seen non-lethal rounds for sale, I wouldn't put them and self defense in the same sentence. If I'm shooting in self defence, I'm looking to end the threat immediately and quickly.
Yes... And as I am sure you are aware, thats asking for a jail term in Canada. Even non-lethal rounds used on someone in your home could get you in a whole lot of trouble here. (It is illegal to point a gun at someone in Canada... And obviously you need to point a gun at someone to shoot them with anything.)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes... And as I am sure you are aware, thats asking for a jail term in Canada. Even non-lethal rounds used on someone in your home could get you in a whole lot of trouble here. (It is illegal to point a gun at someone in Canada... And obviously you need to point a gun at someone to shoot them with anything.)
Jail term vs being killed... that's a toughy :dntknw:

And you guys have more than just people that wish others harm up there... I wouldn't really want to be chasing a bear out of my house with a super soaker either.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
You would be better off killing them than shooting them with non lethals, because if they are still alive, they could turn around and sue you in this wacked up world. Well, at least in America that's the case. But yeah, you shoot a criminal, and then end up where they all are...

I guess sabot slugs would be very useless, I figured they work just fine out of a smooth bore, but yeah I guess it would be a waste of money, I have shot them out of mine and I figured they were okay, but with rifled I'm sure they rock. Wax slugs are still my favorite, just fun to make.
Oddly enough, it just occurred to me, I drive a Ford Ranger, and my shotgun's a Winchester Ranger. Lol!
Yeah, stick with the 26, it will suit all your needs.

Last edited:

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

And you guys have more than just people that wish others harm up there... I wouldn't really want to be chasing a bear out of my house with a super soaker either.
Bears are like criminals, they just need a hug. :icon_rofl:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Being killed isn't really a concern. With gun control laws the way they are in Canada, it just doesn't really happen here. If your in a gang, and you piss off another gang, sure... But thats about it, and at that point your going to get shot regardless of how many you take with you. People robbing houses dont have guns on them, because guns are not easily obtainable for petty criminals, and the consequences of being caught with a gun are severe.

Also, I dont know about you, but I've never had a bear walk into my house... If you live in bear country, Rule number 1 is you keep your doors closed when your cookin' bacon.

Besides, if a 700-pound grizzly was in my kitchen, I wouldn't be going after him with a single-shot 20ga.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Being killed isn't really a concern. With gun control laws the way they are in Canada, it just doesn't really happen here. If your in a gang, and you piss off another gang, sure... But thats about it, and at that point your going to get shot regardless of how many you take with you. People robbing houses dont have guns on them, because guns are not easily obtainable for petty criminals, and the consequences of being caught with a gun are severe.
Tell that to Ian Thompson. Or buddy who had his head removed on the greyhound.

Petty criminals can and do have guns and other weapons, our laws are just political BS. I specifically keep one rifle for home protection of life and property, no government is going to regulate me defenceless. Per capita, more people are assaulted and/or raped in Canada than in the US(source: http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime)

On a less serious, more entertaining note:
Not dragon's breath, but a zombie blaster
http://www.theammosource.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_108_114&products_id=1607
Rubber buckshot(bet they hurt):
http://www.theammosource.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_108_114&products_id=1610

Oddly I heard of more people being killed by coyotes around here in the maritimes(a lady was killed while hikinh/walking in cape breton) then by bears.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Besides, if a 700-pound grizzly was in my kitchen, I wouldn't be going after him with a single-shot 20ga.
You would just tickle the bear, unless you shot him in the eye maybe that would do something, probably piss him off more. They can even take a .44 mag to the face.
Oddly I heard of more people being killed by coyotes around here in the maritimes(a lady was killed while hikinh/walking in cape breton) then by bears.
You'd be surprised, when they travel in packs and if they see a lone target they may go for it. Usually there very skittish, and a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tell that to Ian Thompson. Or buddy who had his head removed on the greyhound.

Petty criminals can and do have guns and other weapons, our laws are just political BS. I specifically keep one rifle for home protection of life and property, no government is going to regulate me defenceless. Per capita, more people are assaulted and/or raped in Canada than in the US(source: http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime)
Greyhound guy was killed with a knife.... He was on his way to a job at my buddys work...

And as for Ian Thompson, I hardly believe he was randomly targetted considering what happened. (3 people show up to a secluded farm house and start throwing fire bombs? thats pretty ****ed up.

Rape and assault rarely involve guns here, so I dont see how thats even relevant.

And the site you cite (lol) clearly shows how the US has 10 times the gun murder rate than Canada, after accounting for population differences. You can call our gun laws a bunch of political bullshit, but I think thats pretty damning proof something is working.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals