• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard pedal

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
After driving and sutting off my truck for more than an hour or so the brake pedal is hard(no vacume). Could this be the booster leaking or a bad check valve?

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could be either. I had the same probem. Replaced the check valve and the problem was solved.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Do you mean no vacuum with the engine running after sitting for that long?

1. Pull the booster brake hose with the engine running. Should have vacuum.
  2. Put hose back into the check valve with engine running. Remove check valve from booster. If you have vacuum, check valve works (at that moment).
  3. Do you hear a hissing (sucking) sound close to the booster? Bad booster is likely.

If you want to replace parts, start with the least expensive, but make sure you have vacuum in the booster hose first.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info y'all. I got the check valve and grommet yest but still need a new piece of hose since the original is cracked pretty good. I know this is something simple but I guess I have been blessed in all my cars/trucks not having a problem with a brake booster.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I changed the check valve,vacume hose and the grommet. It does seem to run better so I think the grommet was leaking some....it had some cracks. But....the pedal is still hard after it sits awhile. Thanks for the advice/info.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm thinking this might be normal. You have a hard pedal because the vacuum assist is not working when the engine is off. No assist = hard pedal. Put your foot on the brake while not running, if the pedal is hard=good, if your foot sinks a bit= need to bleed brakes or master or slaves should be looked at. With your foot on the brake start your engine, you should feel the pedal sink slightly= good, your vacuum assist is working.
Hope this helps,
Richard

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Kinda funny that I didn't notice this before,I think because where I park at home is on gravel with the front wheels in a slight dip so I don't use the brake when I start it at home. When I changed the parts I also "blanked" out the computer. It does run noticeably better. So I'm thinking the hose/grommet might have had a small leak while running. The pedal is hard and firm if it sits for awhile and goes right down when I start it and it don't change the idle speed when I hit the brakes. Thanks again.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The pedal is hard and firm if it sits for awhile and goes right down when I start it and it don't change the idle speed when I hit the brakes. Thanks again.
It shouldn't go all the way down, that would lead me to believe it needs bleeding. If you bleed, start at the tire farthest from the master.
Richard

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
By "going down" I mean the pedal goes down to where it should be. When shut off the pedal is just hard to push. The pedal when running is normal as far as distance to engage the brakes.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think the seal might be worn around the rod from the pedal to the booster. I swept out my truck yesterday and while I was doing that I sprayed some WD-40 on the rod,started it and worked the pedal. I was at my dad's when I did this and on the way home I noticed I had more brake pedal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals