• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard start 7.3. Glow plug relay? Glow plugs?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
will,

my 6.5 is like your powerstroke....and my wore the fawk out powerstroke will start on one battery....

best starting diesel i ever owned....

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't surprise me, Bobby. I lived in the tropics or desert for the 10 years before I moved to Indiana. When I was a kid up in Iowa, Indiana was a southern state. I drove to scholl with the tires of the old Bonneville frozen flat on the bottom peeping though a nickle-sized hole in the windshield provided my my trusty Bic. Now, after 17 years in Indiana with maybe 2 days in total that compare to this last entire month, I have to keep driving to the post office to make sure I haven't been sent back to Iowa without my knowledge.

I reached a day when nothing would start in time. I couldn't get my youngest daughter to school but due to a 2-hour delay, I got the 6.2 started in time to get my oldest son there. Then I dragged the huge torpedo heater out of the loft of the red barn (where we jam) and got the garage warm enough to make me want to work in it. It's a 3-car with 3 separate doors. I do metal work in the left bay so I don't park anything in there. In the middle I have my motorcycles parked at an angle so I can ride the one I want. My wife has the right bay. I put two of the bikes in the work bay and the third across the front of the middle--it's the TU250X that I ride in the winter. My VW fits this way and the garage keeps it warm enough to start.

The E350 van is just dead with its Wal-mart Excide batteries until our March trip to Sanibel. It's on a battery charger. The 6.2 has a permanently mounted charger so 30 minutes with the block heater will get it going. I have to use it a couple times a week.

Both the VW and Powerstroke are direct injection with glow plugs. I don't think glow plugs are very effective on direct injection motors. The 6.2 has the little pre-chamber that is easy to heat. This seems to make a huge difference.

My bus with the hugely long stroked engine and enormous bank of batteries starts easily in this weather. Unfortunately, I have the rear suspension off and the air-ride half installed so I can't use it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can see where diesels in warmer climates would have their cold starting gear neglected. Powerstrokes are the most common truck around here, I doubt it is because people love fighting with them all winter.

Batteries are key, for a diesel pickup you gotta have two and they both gotta be good. One bad one will take the other one down while at the same time do its best kill the starter. 5-10 years is pretty common for the big batteries tractors use, that is what I have gotten out of them in my gas pickup so far too. Block heaters are also a huge help that takes stress of the batteries and starter.

The local CO-OP quit putting birthdays on their sign, now it just states their diesel is blended to -10. I suppose they got tired of the hateful phone calls... can't see where broadcasting it would help much though.

Its been a good winter for selling fuel filters though. :icon_thumby:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The van's second battery is hung outside the frame rail halfway down the length of the body so there is a lot of room for current loss. It's still a weak starter, even while down in Florida last week. I've got some work to do on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals