• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard To Shift Into 1st Gear

paddy1998

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fored Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've had this 92 4X4 5 speed manual for about 6 weeks. I changed all the fluids, including putting GM Synchromesh the gearbox. I also installed a Hurst shifter.

Recently, it occasionally won't shift into 1st gear from a stop. However, if I move the stick all the way to the right and briefly shift into 5th or reverse and then back it will then fall into first gear without any problem.

There are no other shifting problems whatsoever.

Thoughts?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Most likely air in the line. Can also be the flange/s oonthe master cylinder is are broke. I've also encountered the firewall having cracked and flexing enough to prevent full disengagement of the clutch.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Transmission gears spin at wheel speed, so when stopped the drive gears in transmission are also stopped, 0 RPMs, there is no disconnect between wheels, axle, drive shaft and transmissions output shaft that has the drive gears

Engine at idle is say 700RPMs

In Neutral clutch pedal up, the clutch disc and transmission input shaft are also at 700rpm
When you push the clutch pedal down the clutch disc MUST BE full separated from flywheel and pressure plate which always spin at engine RPMs

When clutch disc and input shaft slow down to 0 RPMs, THEN you can shift into a gear
If there is ANY rubbing of the clutch disc on flywheel or pressure plate then disc can't slow down to 0 RPMs
If there is ANY AIR in a hydraulic clutch system, then the Slave cylinder can't pull the pressure plate back far enough so there is rubbing, and hard to get into gear

There are synchro-mesh gears for each gear, they help slow down the disc and input shaft as you push shifter arm into a gear
lower gears, like 1 and 2 are high ratio so takes more effort to slow down a RUBBING disc
5th is a low ratio gear so easier to use to slow down the disc and get it to 0 RPMs, i.e. it goes into 5th gear
Once disc is at 0rpms(in gear) you can then shift into any other gear

While driving you are having the same issue BUT won't notice it as much because the synchros will Match RPMs better between engine RPMs and spinning rear wheel RPMs

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that, it's fairly common to be difficult to get into first stopped on these, in my '97 it does that pretty good and I'll usually just pull it toward second gear briefly (doesn't usually go into that either...) to get the synchro's working some which is enough to get it into first

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
i go down towards second also

paddy1998

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fored Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey, thanks for all the replies and ideas. It turned out to be something unrelated to the clutch.

Something I didn't put in my original post (because I didn't realize it at the time) was that when it wouldn't go into first gear it felt like the force on the stick was pushing against more than just the shift fork mechanism; it felt like it was putting force on the entire gearbox case.

And a few days ago I had the following conversation with a friend who has a firm grasp of the obvious:

Friend: "Didn't you just put a Hurst shifter in there a few weeks ago?"
Me: "Yes."
Friend: "Did you go back and retorque the bolts that hold it onto the tower?"
Me: "No."
Friend: "Well you know you're supposed to do that."
Me: "Yeah, I think I read something about that."
Friend: 🤷‍♂️

Sooooooo, I retorqued those bolts and everything has been just dandy. Shifts better than ever.

And while it's a little spendy, I cannot reccomend that Hurst shifter enough!
IMG_20220728_141220362.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals