• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone added a true transmission cooler?

Dwgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy. Has anyone tried the installation of a true transmission cooler on their 2019-2023 Ranger?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Versus a fake one? Educate me on this please.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm pretty sure the cooling design is good enough. But if you decide to go with a seperate system put in a temp gauge. Having trans fluid too cold isn't good either.

Dwgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Dwgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My stock 2022 Ranger has a heat exchanger versus a separate dedicated external cooler. We live in Phoenix. Whether stop or go traffic or freeway traffic, when it's consistently above 110 everything runs hot. The old adage for transmission fluid is longer life for your transmission with cooler transmission fluid.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
My stock 2022 Ranger has a heat exchanger versus a separate dedicated external cooler. We live in Phoenix. Whether stop or go traffic or freeway traffic, when it's consistently above 110 everything runs hot. The old adage for transmission fluid is longer life for your transmission with cooler transmission fluid.
The new fluid that's put in stuff nowadays is MUCH better than the old swill.. and is perfectly happy living it's life at temps that would of previously been considered too hot. Too cool is nearly as bad as too hot too..

Dwgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
All vehicles have been that way since automatics came out. You can add a aux cooler but it's always recommended by the aux cooler manufacturers to hook the added cooler in series with the factory heat exchanger.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
To make sure what franklin says it Chrystal clear, the auxiliary cooler gets installed before the factory cooler. That way, if the auxiliary cooler cools the fluid too much, the factory system will heat it back up.

From my research, as long as the transmission coolant is kept below 300 degrees, all should be good. I can keep an eye on that through my ScanGauge II since the sensors already in the OBD II system to read from. So, far mine has been good, even while towing. Granted, the trailer I pull is no where near the maximum rating of the truck but it is an added stress.

I replaced the factory transmission pan with a PPE aluminum pan with a drain plug recently. So I'm anticipating that the fluid temperature may drop some due to better heat transfer compared to the plastic factory pan.

Dwgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Dwgray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
To make sure what franklin says it Chrystal clear, the auxiliary cooler gets installed before the factory cooler. That way, if the auxiliary cooler cools the fluid too much, the factory system will heat it back up.

From my research, as long as the transmission coolant is kept below 300 degrees, all should be good. I can keep an eye on that through my ScanGauge II since the sensors already in the OBD II system to read from. So, far mine has been good, even while towing. Granted, the trailer I pull is no where near the maximum rating of the truck but it is an added stress.

I replaced the factory transmission pan with a PPE aluminum pan with a drain plug recently. So I'm anticipating that the fluid temperature may drop some due to better heat transfer compared to the plastic factory pan.
I like the PPE pan option and plan to install it. Thank you for the feedback.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

No, that's not how it should be. It should go from the transmission, to the radiator cooler then to the axillary cooler. That is how they are from the factory if they come with one and that is how an aftermarket one should be hooked up. Transmission fluid should be kept below 250 degress, I don't like to see anything above 230, 300 is cooking it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
No, that's not how it should be. It should go from the transmission, to the radiator cooler then to the axillary cooler. That is how they are from the factory if they come with one and that is how an aftermarket one should be hooked up. Transmission fluid should be kept below 250 degress, I don't like to see anything above 230, 300 is cooking it.
I got the temperature incorrect for proper operating temperature. So thank you for the correction there. I remembered 300 being a bad number but that was about it without re-researching the subject.

As far as the auxiliary cooler, if it has OEM equipment from the factory, it is indeed setup correctly for that vehicle.

Older vehicles that don’t use transmission temperatures as part of the equation on how the engine operates don’t care if the transmission is over cooled.

For vehicles that do monitor the transmission temperature and do not come with an auxiliary cooler, running the auxiliary cooler after the cooler in the radiator can cause problems. Transmission fluid that is too cool will force the engine into warm up mode or keep it there, throwing off fuel trims, emissions, and can cause the engine to run poorly. It was a thing we saw a lot in the HondaSUV forum and that I read about other places with other vehicles. Running the auxiliary cooler before the radiator cooler prevents that.

Of course, if the auxiliary cooler is too big, no matter how you route it, there is going to be problems on vehicles that measure transmission temperature for it operating parameters.

Of course, the best way to make sure the transmission isn’t over cooled is to install a thermostat.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I like the PPE pan option and plan to install it. Thank you for the feedback.
So far it looks like the pan drops the temperature about 10 degrees when driving 45 mph or faster. Below that the air flow is slow enough that the difference is negligible to nothing. That being said, I never went over 200.

The transmission pretty much stayed at about 197 without a load before the swap and about 187 after the swap but that 187 was only above 45 mph.

As far as the existing cooler from the factory, it seems to be doing it’s job. I don’t remember breaking 210 with the old pan and towing a trailer weighing about 1500 pounds loaded.

If you plan to tow near the limit. A bigger cooler might be needed.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For vehicles that do monitor the transmission temperature and do not come with an auxiliary cooler, running the auxiliary cooler after the cooler in the radiator can cause problems. Transmission fluid that is too cool will force the engine into warm up mode or keep it there, throwing off fuel trims, emissions, and can cause the engine to run poorly. It was a thing we saw a lot in the HondaSUV forum and that I read about other places with other vehicles. Running the auxiliary cooler before the radiator cooler prevents that.
I have installed dozens of aftermarket coolers and have never had that problem on any vehicle, plumbing it in after the radiator is how I have seen all the factory coolers done and it is also how all the aftermarket cooler companys reccomend you install it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals