• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone done this before??

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have been racking what brain I have, about torque with my lit'l 92 4 banger w/5sp. My problem with low end power for pulling anything on an incline...

A suggestion was made to install a 4x4 transmission/transfer case to utalize the gears. I would not be mounting a front end under it and thought I would ask some of you what would work for this application in order to bolt it up to the 2.3L? Any suggestions are much appreciated. I do not see why it would not work.

Sorry for posting in wrong site/read further down and found the Transmission site.

Last edited:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know why it woudn't work either but it will involve taking your tranny apart to change the tail end the shaft goes way in there or getting a 4x4 tranny.Getting a transfer case manual would be easiest since you don't have the button in the dash.Get a rear drive line the right length same truck meaning extra cab longbed whatever in a 4x4.The 4x4 model tranny mounts to the transfer case so probably have to move that.The 4x4 model speedo cable ties in at the transfer case so yours might be to short and maybe a different gear.Really it's feasible if you get a good buy on all the stuff you need you'll be able to stay away from payments and have a truck that works for you.

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Do I have the right stuff?

I don't know why it woudn't work either but it will involve taking your tranny apart to change the tail end the shaft goes way in there or getting a 4x4 tranny.Getting a transfer case manual would be easiest since you don't have the button in the dash.Get a rear drive line the right length same truck meaning extra cab longbed whatever in a 4x4.The 4x4 model tranny mounts to the transfer case so probably have to move that.The 4x4 model speedo cable ties in at the transfer case so yours might be to short and maybe a different gear.Really it's feasible if you get a good buy on all the stuff you need you'll be able to stay away from payments and have a truck that works for you.
I found a Bronco 2 transmission 5sp (FM145) and BW1350 for $250. The guy says the transmission will bolt in place of my M50D-R1. Couldn't a person replace the output shaft on my M50, and join the 1350??

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I found a Bronco 2 transmission 5sp (FM145) and BW1350 for $250. The guy says the transmission will bolt in place of my M50D-R1. Couldn't a person replace the output shaft on my M50, and join the 1350??
The Bronco 2 only came with the 2.9L v6. The 2.8L, 2.9L and 4.0L can all swap out transmissions. But the 2.3L 4 cyl has a different bell housing pattern so it won't bolt up. Not to mention i believe your 2wd 4 cylinder transmission already has lower gearing in it to compensate for lack of power and torque like the 4.0L. The you would be better off just swaping the gears in the rear end for something taller such as 3.73's or 4.10's.:icon_thumby:

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have already changed the gears from 3.45 to 3.73 (waiting for a posi unit). Since I can not use the transmission FM145, would I be able to use the transfer case at all

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Not with a 2wd transmission. you are going to need to find a 4x4 4cylinder transmission and use the transmission and t case. Unfortunately you can't just swap the tail section as 2wd and 4x4 transmissions have different length tailshafts.

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Bummer:shok:
Well, do you have any suggestions on a 4cyl 4x4 transmission that would bolt up to the 2.3L

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if you can find a manual transmission out of an explorer with the manual transfer case attached, you can swap the output shaft like mentioned, they are sure to be the mazda tranny that you would need to work with yours, the 4x4 2.3 rangers are kinda rare but would be the easiest setup. Like said, you would need the speedo cable from the donor

low range is very nice to have :)

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
not worth it, 4cyl's are not worth anything for towing. sure having a low range would work but seriously? you would have to go rediculously slow.

if you really want to keep the 4cyl, get a lower gear ratio in the rear axle

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks

Thanks...to all

Brutus, I was just using the lower gear for pulling my boat and trailer up the ramp out of the lake. I would also be using it if in the hills.

I found a BW1350 Manual Transfer Case/Tail Piece and shaft to use on my M50D. That, I think will accomplish what I am trying to do. I will keep you posted.

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well...I got the M5D1 out and into a shop. The mechanic changed the tail piece out and installed the output shaft. I then found a BW1350 that mated up to the tail piece and reinstalled. I found an Explorer rear Driveline that I had to cut down to fit and swap a yoke for it to fit the rear and mounted a double-cardan joint to the front yoke. Unfortunately, I have not been fortunate enough to find a shift lever but have the start from one out of a Bronco 11. Will try to fab one.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
We done this swap in a s10 years ago with a 2.8.It worked well and had all the torque you needed.As you say you need it for the boat lanuch it will be fine but the problems we had is you cant shift it to low range going up hills as they like to be pulled over and stopped before going in low range.Are the Fords like that?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yep, need to be stopped, but you can do about 45 in low range by the top of 5th gear so if you know you need it just put it in...

Mr.Stoke_Me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 and 1996
Make / Model
ford(both)
Engine Size
2.3 lima/ 7.3 smokin stroker
Transmission
Manual
how much does your boat weigh? i put 1700 pounds of gravel in the bed of my 91 4banger 2wd with the m5od, and it did just fine going up a hill @ 65 in 4th gear, pulling around 3600 rpm i think..i did shift down to 3rd but it was just screaming rpms so i decided to put it back into 4th, i was expecting it to lag out about halfway up but i started to feather the gas a bit from around 3/4 throttle and to my surprise it kept its speed up just fine, since its so old, i didnt want to push her too hard and go full throttle, but i di for just a few seconds and it was really working hard just to gain a few mph, so i backed off and just kept my speed..and about 3/4 the way up the hill there was a light at which i had to stop at cuz it was red, i really rode the clutch getting it going, but it was up to the 45 mph speed limmit in no time at all, 3/4 throttle? wat kind of mods have you made to the motor? i did an intake swap on mine and ran it in a clean box no filter and deleted my cat, and that made a real good difference at low rpm, you may also want to look into, replaceing or upgrading you ignition components, as better spark = more efficiency. just a thought man, hope the swap works out for ya!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals