• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

having trouble removing hydraulic clutch line

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to replace my transmission today. Got everything unbolted and harness un clipped. Ready to by dropped down. I ran into a major issue removing the clutch line. Apparenly I'm missing the plastic collar that goes into the slave cylinder coupling. I tried everything to release that lock and remove the line and I'm out of options. Called ford dealer and they told me I had to cut the line and replace both the slave cylinder and the clutch line. That's a load of bs. The same dealership replaced my clutch last year and they were able to remove it without that plastic collar. So it is possible. Is there anyone that has done this before and could give me a tip on how to remove this without replacing the clutch line and slave?

Thank you

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would think you could cut a thiiiiiin piece of plastic or metal tubing about 3/8" long and slice it down the middle. Then slip it over the slave line and into the collar where the plastic clip normally is. Off the top of my head without looking (haven't had a reason to be in that area on mine for awhile) that should act like the original collar when you push on it to release the fingers inside the line. There is a tool made specifically to fit around the line to push on the collar for the release of the hydro line out of the slave. Make sure to wiggle the line back and forth when trying to release it. I hate that stupid line..

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I've tried that but no luck yet. Soda can was too weak, a lock pick kit was too think. Gonna try to cut up a spray paint can next

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That should be thick enough I would think...It took me forever to get mine out last time even with the original collar and the special tool...

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hmm. Ill try that tomorrow. Hopefully it works. Do you think a junkyard would have the plastic piece?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Use one of those plastic credit card shaped cards that are thinner than a real credit card. Cut it and lightly heat it so you can bend it into a cylinder shape. That should give you good rigidity yet enough firmness to release the lock. You may not even need to heat it.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Haha ill try that too. Man, the effort it takes to do something so simple. I don't know how that piece disappeared in the first place. Thanks for all the tips. Ill try them out tomorrow and hope for the best

greenbean93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I just used the special tool to pry that darn clip up. When I did mine I thought I was gonna break the plastic clip with the tool but it slipped up. Try just giving it a little more force. And you might as well replace the slave while you have the tranny off. The new slave i got from advanced didnt even have that locking system on it.

greenbean93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

bhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
I'd go to a boneyard and put the line off a slave. Then you will see that the white plastic piece is actually split in the middle so it can be carefully removed and re-installed on your line. At least that is my recollection when I replaced my master cylinder a month or so ago.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ya I've been waiting for a day off so I can go to the yard and pull one off of another truck. And the slave I have now is only a year old and it didn't come with the plastic piece either

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Go to a different dealer. You CAN buy those clips direct though the dealer. Don't remember the p/n off hand, but I bought one not long ago. That's how the dealership got it off there before.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i used a hose clamp with the screw part of it pryed off.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hose clamp!!! Genius idea. Wish I thought of that days ago. Unfortunately I already managed to get it off lastnight with a thin strong piece of metal. At least now I know for next time. Ill try the dealership first, but damn...hose clamp, so simple :)

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Its worked for me every time so far :) found a good size, pryed the little worm gear part off, and i now keep it in my toolbox as a typical tool haha.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals