• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

head gasket question

deere_construction

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 99 ranger with the 3.0 ffv. the motor locked up due to cam sync going out. i removed the motor and then the pan found the rods spun. all junk yards want 600-800 bucks for a used motor with 120000 or more miles. i did find a 3.0 out of a 2005 tauras with 23000 and they wanted 300 for it i was gonna do that and just use the bottom end and use my heads and intake or maybe swith the heads around and use my intake. if im wrong please correct me. i was also wondering about head gaskets and head bolts. for what year do i need to get the pars for. i assume for 2005 but we all know what assuming does.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your intake will bolt right up to the 2005, swap to RWD head gaskets & use the 2005 heads, your accessories & exhaust manifolds. As for the head bolts they need to be the longer style 2005., Heads are similar, difference being the valve stem & springs, castings are the same.

JP02XLT

deere_construction

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
okay cool. so do i order parts for a 2005 ford ranger to get the rwd head gaskets and head bolts? ive also read that the taurus water pump has a shorter nose so should i just order up a new ranger water pump for 2005 also?

deere_construction

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
another thing i just remembered is mine is a 4x4 so will my oil pan bolt to the tuarus motor? will i have to switch the flywheels to or order one for the 2005 ranger.

deere_construction

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
okay so i got the taurus motor this weekend. i tore my old one apart and tranferred the valce covers intake and a new ranger water pump and flywheel. i looked at the oil pans and im pretty sure the taurus pan will fit with no problem. i didnt think about it till i got to putting on the upper intake but when i ordered the gaskets i ordered 2005 ranger gasket set for the 3.0. did i drop the ball there or can i spend the 8 bucks and get the upper intake gasket. everthing went together good. no troubles. i looked at the oil pans and im pretty sure the taurus pan will fit with no problem. if i dropped the ball on the gaskets let me know so i can order the gasket set for the early 99 since mine was march of 99.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The newer gasket should work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals