• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

headlight chime

RPD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I suppose this is supposed to go here, but correct me if im wrong. so I recently picked up my ranger, its pretty decent, but the problem I'm here for is that the headlight warning chime will sound whenever I open the drivers door, even when the lights are off. it turns off when the truck is on, but just keeps dinging at me if I just open the door. any thoughts?

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That sounds more like the "key in ignition" then the light switch warning.

I know my 06 will sound the light on alarm with door closed and just by turning the ignition off.

RPD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That sounds more like the "key in ignition" then the light switch warning.

I know my 06 will sound the light on alarm with door closed and just by turning the ignition off.
oh wait, I meant to add this, the headlights are not on when that happens. im sorry about that

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I kinda assumed that the lights were off when this happens.

Try this... all doors closed... ignition on... turn the park lights on. Now turn ignition off... light chime should sound off. This is the way my 06 works.

If the chime doesn't sound off until a door is open... I think it's a key in ignition warning.

RPD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I kinda assumed that the lights were off when this happens.

Try this... all doors closed... ignition on... turn the park lights on. Now turn ignition off... light chime should sound off. This is the way my 06 works.

If the chime doesn't sound off until a door is open... I think it's a key in ignition warning.
ok, thank you so much!

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Diff year and gen but here goes. On my '97 I had this exact same issue - key is out, but opening the door you got 'key in ignition' (but not if key was 'on'). On mine, if you take off the clamshells on the steering you can see the little contact, in this case it wasn't secure in its position and could make contact where it wasn't supposed to. I took a small strip of tape and wrapped around there to hold it, problem solved, it works properly. Admittedly that's a tape job not a "real fix" but it solved it, and, if it comes back, which it hasn't, I'd know right where to look. Not sure what the "real fix" is but it looked like it might involve replacing the ignition cylinder which I'd rather stay away from if possible.
Anyway if yours is at all like mine and you take off the clamshells you should see the contact for this function and probably it's floating around in there. Then you can move it around and probably make the chime go off and that tells you where it's supposed to be, and secure it there somehow.
Maybe could be other causes too but I thought I'd throw that out there as it sounded real familiar.

Reactions: RPD

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Adding, it happened after I had my truck in my "good shop" and I was like, man, even my good shop is breaking things. Then I remembered the guy told me "I had to move the steering up because I couldn't get in" (I always keep mine all the way down). So probably the thing was always loose and it just got moved around. I still think the shop is good but just and example how you can get truck back with more than was wrong with it to begin with. I didn't notice it until I got home because he backed the truck out of the shop and it was running so it wasn't chiming. Then I got home and was like wtf. You should be able to fix it, hopefully for free (less a little of your time).

Reactions: RPD

RPD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Diff year and gen but here goes. On my '97 I had this exact same issue - key is out, but opening the door you got 'key in ignition' (but not if key was 'on'). On mine, if you take off the clamshells on the steering you can see the little contact, in this case it wasn't secure in its position and could make contact where it wasn't supposed to. I took a small strip of tape and wrapped around there to hold it, problem solved, it works properly. Admittedly that's a tape job not a "real fix" but it solved it, and, if it comes back, which it hasn't, I'd know right where to look. Not sure what the "real fix" is but it looked like it might involve replacing the ignition cylinder which I'd rather stay away from if possible.
Anyway if yours is at all like mine and you take off the clamshells you should see the contact for this function and probably it's floating around in there. Then you can move it around and probably make the chime go off and that tells you where it's supposed to be, and secure it there somehow.
Maybe could be other causes too but I thought I'd throw that out there as it sounded real familiar.
ok, thanks, that sounds like its probably it

RPD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Adding, it happened after I had my truck in my "good shop" and I was like, man, even my good shop is breaking things. Then I remembered the guy told me "I had to move the steering up because I couldn't get in" (I always keep mine all the way down). So probably the thing was always loose and it just got moved around. I still think the shop is good but just and example how you can get truck back with more than was wrong with it to begin with. I didn't notice it until I got home because he backed the truck out of the shop and it was running so it wasn't chiming. Then I got home and was like wtf. You should be able to fix it, hopefully for free (less a little of your time).
ok! awesome, thank you for letting me know

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals