• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headlight Options

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
'Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.' - Michael Stanley
Alight, I've about had it with the :poop: headlights on my '94 XLT (don't get me started on the :poop: mounting system Ford devised to hold them to the radiator support, along with the "aiming" fiasco). At some point in it's life, my Ranger had it's headlights replaced with some :poop: Chinese headlights, that are, predictably, :poop:. Terible light pattern and terrible quality. Or maybe I should say :poop: quality! :ROFLMAO:

I've ordered and returned multiple sets of headlights from Rock Auto, Amazon, eBay, etc all in the effort to find SOMETHING that actually was better than walking in front of the truck holding 2 candles. Nada, zip, nothing. At this point I'm ready to buy a couple of LED light pods or a light bar (as much as I hate to) in an effort to get some better lighting for my little truck.

Isn't there anyone out there that makes headlights for these older Rangers that aren't :poop:? If you've had good luck, please tell me about them. Links where possible would be extremely helpful.

--Edited for spelling--

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would forget the original lights, just keep them but get a nice quality set of DOT driving lights. A light bar is not DOT legal is it? Plus from what I have seen, they are like LED's. Very bright right in front of the truck, but no reach out in the distance at all. You might think you can see better because it's brighter, but can you see farther out? There is a lot more to lighting than people think. It's just like riding at night with your domelight on. You can see good right in front of you in the cab, but can't see squat out in the dark at a distance.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
How much work do you want to put into it?
20230905_161950.jpg

20230905_162006.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just moved this to the lighting forum for better looks.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
'Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.' - Michael Stanley
I would forget the original lights, just keep them but get a nice quality set of DOT driving lights. A light bar is not DOT legal is it? Plus from what I have seen, they are like LED's. Very bright right in front of the truck, but no reach out in the distance at all. You might think you can see better because it's brighter, but can you see farther out? There is a lot more to lighting than people think. It's just like riding at night with your domelight on. You can see good right in front of you in the cab, but can't see squat out in the dark at a distance.
Yeah, thanks. I’m aware of the limitations of bars, but just trying to figure out what options are available. I live out in the sticks with no street lights and with lots of deer, and just need something better than what I’m running now.

I look better already.
😂 Don’t know you, but I’ll take your word for it!

Last edited:

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
Thanks for the reply @ericbphoto I don’t really want to alter the looks of the truck too much, just looking at ways to improve what I have. I’ve got a set of Rigid LED cube lights on my Jeep, and I may add a set of them if I can’t find any other options.

--Edited for spelling, again!--

Last edited:

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
I appreciate your reply, but I’m afraid that because of the :poop: optics of the :poop: Chinese lights that I have, putting LEDs in these :poop: headlight assemblies is going to cause way too much glare to oncoming drivers. The light pattern of the existing headlights is absolute :poop:. Literally scattered all over the place and impossible to aim properly because of it.

I think the only real option is a good quality DOT approved aftermarket driving light.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I've thought about this quite a bit. I've decided that if I ever get motivated enough, I'll make my own lights. Get a pair of decently built headlights, take them apart, install some led pod-type lights in them, and put them back together. The idea there is to keep the lights in the same footprint as stock and there is no modification needed to the truck. I imagine that it'd be fairly simle to get this idea to be functional. Making it pretty, easily adjustable, and durable is another story.

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
For me, I only drive my Ranger 3-4k miles a year. It's not my DD, but a truck I use to haul stuff for the house, haul the kayak trailer or another light-duty trailer, or use to clean up our property in case of storms, fallen trees, etc. And though it's in great condition, I don't want to get crazy with it (though I do enjoy tinkering on it). I'm really leaning towards drilling a couple of holes in the bumper and installing some small-ish decent quality driving lights and using a relay to tie them into the basically non-existent high beams to control them.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I replaced the headlight assemblies with new Taiwan–made assemblies right after I bought my 2011 Ranger, mainly because cracks were forming in the lenses. The lights were bad either way, but the new ones looked better. Switching to Auxito LED bulbs made a huge difference, and these were plug-and-play.

The lighting pattern still leaves a lot to be desired, but the color and performance are much better than before. So try that first. The Auxitos I bought were the best and brightest listed for the truck, and I had to re-aim the lights after replacement. In terms of performance on a 0–10 scale, I'd rate the original headlamps no better than 3–4, but the Auxito replacements bring that up to 6–7. Not ideal by a long shot, but a lot better. It makes the best use of a poor design.

I also replaced the driving lights in the bumper and used Auxito LEDs in those, and the difference was night and day—lots of light up close and to the sides on dark roads at night. 0–10: before, 4, and after, 7–8.

A mechanic buddy swears by Fahren, so there's a second option for LED replacements.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
For me, I only drive my Ranger 3-4k miles a year. It's not my DD, but a truck I use to haul stuff for the house, haul the kayak trailer or another light-duty trailer, or use to clean up our property in case of storms, fallen trees, etc. And though it's in great condition, I don't want to get crazy with it (though I do enjoy tinkering on it). I'm really leaning towards drilling a couple of holes in the bumper and installing some small-ish decent quality driving lights and using a relay to tie them into the basically non-existent high beams to control them.
I just lived with mine before I retired (and I worked the night shift too), and now I just don't drive my trucks enough to stress over it. By far the worst problem I have is oncoming cars with stupid-bright non-DOT headlights, and I don't want to be "that guy".

So, along the line of "I don't want to get crazy with it", here's some thoughts.

3rd gen trucks (like your '94) seem to be the worst for the headlights getting cloudy. Polishing the cloudy haze out helps a huge amount to keep the lights at stock output. You can buy a polishing kit, but I use toothpaste and a buffing wheel in a drill (bonus: makes them taste minty fresh in case you ever feel like licking your headlights).

Add relays to power the headlights directly from the battery. Your stock wiring, light switch and multifunction switch (if these are still original) are going on 30 years old; adding relays gets the most amperage to the lights.

Good fresh bulbs. I just use a stock-type with a good lumen rating.

And, add some decent driving lights like you're thinking, to reach out farther, and controlled by a switch and the high beams.

Sounds like you're familiar with relays, so making these mods would be pretty easy, and wouldn't break the bank.

Good luck!

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
3rd gen trucks (like your '94) seem to be the worst for the headlights getting cloudy. Polishing the cloudy haze out helps a huge amount to keep the lights at stock output. You can buy a polishing kit, but I use toothpaste and a buffing wheel in a drill (bonus: makes them taste minty fresh in case you ever feel like licking your headlights).
My aftermarket Ranger headlights still look new after 4 years. They don't work but they look nice :cautious:. My Ram aftermarket headlights have significantly yellowed after a year. It was very obvious when I installed new fog lights.

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
Minty-fresh headlamps! Yum! 😂 Unfortunately I don’t have the factory lights anymore, I have :poop: Chinese replacements. At least they’re not hazy!

Thanks all for the replies. Didn’t think about running the lights I have now via relays, though probably because they are so terrible that I can’t imagine it would help, though I do have a few relays hanging around the barn, so I may give that a shot first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals