• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Heat Soak" behavior on clutch, spongy-then-stiff pedal...

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
{Forget this thread for now: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/clutch-master-cylinder-tell-me-about-the-rubber-cup-seal-thaaang.204206 }

So 2 years ago I put in a new Perfection-brand Master+Res+Pressure Line, all good, light duty since then, 6,000 miles, 4,000 of that highway, been working at home all summer, so even LESS use...

... then this week, typical hot AH FL afternoon, 12 miles up the highway, A/C ON, engine off for 5 minutes, re-start, 4 miles of stop-and-go, engine off for 10 minutes, re-start, 1 mile into return 4 mile stop-and-go, out of nowhere, clutch pedal has "reverse" resistance, i.e. light for the first 80% of travel, then ultra-STIFF for the last 1-1/2 inches, then weird on the release...

... I nurse it home, park in the shade, 5 hours later, back to completely normal...?? I know brake fluid is made to get way hotter than under-hood temps, but I'm thinking both water and air will expand a lot (boil?) with the temps the Slave-end of that pressure line gets up to...?

Checked the reservoir, level fine, maybe down 1/8" since new, but a bit dirty... hmmm...

Have driven it 2 shorter trips since then, "gremlins" gone, totally normal again.

Anyway, what say ye, RKIs?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If the fluid is dirty I would take a turkey baster and suck out what I can and put new fluid in it. Brake fluid loves to absorb water.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Yeah, that's the plan... plenty o' humidity and rain down here... actually might bleed from the bottom if I can recruit Camaro-bro to help...

>> Does dirty after only 6k miles mean slave/throw-out bearing is "going"?

Looked in the viewport today (could they route that exhaust pipe ANY friggin' closer?), dry as a bone, NO BOOT visible on original '99 factory Slave--could see the whole length of big spring... sorry, no pics--phone cam couldn't focus that close... :cautious:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Could you have left the boot out once when you were looking it over?

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
No, not the rubber PLUG that covers up the viewport (I've got that), but the "bellows" that covers the moving piston of the slave cylinder... newer versions (incl. the one I got from Perfection, but haven't used... yet), have the bellows-boot to keep clutch dust out of the slave cylinder-piston interface... wondering if mine had one from the factory, but it's just disintegrated over 24 years?... in fact, I'm wondering if that's not why my fluid is less-than-clean...?

>> What say ye, RKIs? Did the original factory Mazda slaves have the bellows-boot?

Oh well, I'd rather bleed/refill the fluid every 2 years, than go thru/pay for the tribulation of dropping the trans (and xfer case), and replacing the 12(?) pricey parts that "make it worth" dropping said trans! (I've only got 86k original miles on this mostly-trusty pup!)

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you have the rubber seal on the master and the cap fits tight. These things have a aggravating seal that drops down and covers the complete top of the master reservoir. If it gets stuck to the reservoir when you pull the cap off, it's hard to see and you pour fluid in it, it fills the rubber seal and the fluid doesn't make it to the bottom of the reservoir where it needs to be.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The heat shouldn't have made a difference. I've never had an issue. I rarely do a lot of stop and go traffic but I have and the clutch was fine. The same with long highway trips.

The above recommendation of sucking out the reservoir is something I do roughly every three years when I "flushing" the brake lines with new brake fluid. So, that may be why I haven't had an issue. I don't vacuum flush or gravity bleed the clutch line because I'm scared I'll accidentally go to far and suck air into the system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals