• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater fan issues maybe?

Allen And Brandy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6cyl 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Last year. The fan would blow hot air up till setting 3/4, and would blow air at 4 but made a weird humming noise. This year the only setting that blows any sort of heat is the fourth fan speed setting which still makes that humming noise. I assumed the cabin air filter was trashed. But a little research says that an '01 ranger does not have a cabin filter? Is this correct? My instinct is there's junk clogging the fan, but I don't know where the fan is or where to look or if I'm right at all. All ideas are appreciated. It's getting towards freezing I'd like the heat to work haha

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It is the resistor under the hood. Common problem with them is they corrode and eventually stop working. Easy fix...just replace the resistor. Should be a four wire plug into the heater box under the hood...just two screws to remove it and replace it with another one...I think they are $15 new or less at a junkyard...

Find one from an F150 or Ranger that has A/C...for some reason they stay healthy longer...but 2001 may be a bit different...

check the Tech Library...there is an article there all about this...

Allen And Brandy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6cyl 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I plugged into a computer today for another reason. I have a code for in incomplete heater circuit or something like that. And what is this resistor thing? I know nothing about heating systems...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, I didn't check the year of your vehicle, but the older ones had a resistor for the blower motor under the hood...so they may have changed it if you are actually getting a code...sorry, but it is symptomatic of the older systems so there is probably something similar in the setup...a resistor that controls the speed of the blower fan but you may want to check the on-line repair manual for the specifics of the heater/blower system...

You can find the repair manual at the following link:

http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=url,uid

User ID: tech
Password: tech

EDIT: I had a look through it to see what is up...plenty of information there, but unless it is the actual switch causing the issue the repair looks like a complicated task involving tearing apart the dash...maybe someone familiar with the situation can offer something more concrete...

If it is the blower motor, which I tend to doubt considering the code, then removal of that is similar to the older style Rangers...you may have an obstruction in there that could be remedied by removing the fan and cleaning it out, since the humming may be related to air restrictions...

Anyway, again, there is probably someone one here familiar with the 2001 systems...maybe go under the Need Urgent help section and post there instead...gets a bit more attention...

Last edited:

Allen And Brandy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6cyl 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well none the less I appreciate the help. Il start looking through the repair manual and see what I can figure out. Thanks!

Allen And Brandy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
6cyl 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sure enough. Pulled the fan off and had about half the woods in it. I don't know if its quite as good as stock but there's actual hot air blowing out of the vents so I'm happy!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good to hear you resolved the issue...somewhat...:icon_thumby:

Thanks for the follow up!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals