• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

heavy idle

bigblue88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
88 ford ranger super- think about 100,000 miles
2.9 fuel injection
a4ld
Recently my trucks been idling rough and blowing a lot of smoke out of exhaust in morning when starting up. One time it stalled and wouldn't start, but later that day it started right up, hasn't done this again yet. Last time this happened(rough idle), it was just a dirty spark plug with brown oil on it. But I pulled them all and nothing. I know its not the fuel pump, I replaced both of them, plus all distributor components, and o2 sensor. Wondering if its either timing chain or leaking head gasket. I would try and check but, in the book its very confusing on how to check compression. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Mike828

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A little smoke in the morning could be normal condensation. Try cleaning your IAC for the idle.
For the compression test, warm up engine, remove plugs, screw in tester, hold throttle open and turn engine over for 5-10 seconds, write down numbers and move to the next cylinder.

bigblue88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
So inside of the car hold the gas pedal all the way down, the turnover the engine every 5-10 secs. With all plugs out except tester rite

sirfunkeybut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
just disconect the wire from the coil so it doesn't start

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
ford recomends at least 5 rotations of the crankshaft. i usually shoot for 7-8.

bigblue88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I did the compression check, and the #2 cylinder was only at 70 psi the first crank, then 90, then 125. It says if its low to pour some oil and see if it increases, and it did. Went up to 115, 125. So I think the rings worn on it. But also number 4 cylinder, the spark plug is always black or brown.
The rest of the cylinders on first crank were 101, 2nd crank 125, 3rd 150. Is that rite
Thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals