• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heavy Modification to my new 91 Project?

highstakes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

I picked up a 1991 super cab electric shift 4wd automatic 4.0 ranger xlt, and it's the first truck I've ever owned. I'm having lots of fun, but also a few problems :(

First off, my wiring for 4wd is damaged, and I am in the process of swapping in a manual transfer case so I can be sure my 4wd always works when I want it to. However, while I was at the junkyard, I found a good condition manual transmission (I believe m50d r1) for a 2wd, but the truck that I took my new t case from had the 4x4 back part on the trans that I would need. Would I be able to put this 5 speed from a 94 ranger 2wd 2.9 into my 4.0 if I used the back section off of another 5 speed (one with 4wd components)?
Additionally, what wiring work would I need to do? Will I need a wiring harness and ECU from a manual 4wd 4.0?

Thanks for your time (y)
-Sam

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Swapping a trans from 2x to 4x or vice versa requires complete disassembly, so unless that's a skill-set that you enjoy relative proficiency with it would be a better idea to find one that's ready to go.

highstakes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I was really hoping they were plug and play, so to speak. The truck that I pulled the t case out of is a 90 something b2300 and the shift assembly in that is super loose, but I'd rather just buy the junkyard warranty and rebuild a shifter.
Any idea with the wiring/ecu?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals