• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello my ranger friends

sclove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just brough a 86 ranger 2.3liter 4x4 it's been sitting for a couple of yrs it had a new short block installed when they parked it . I just change both pumps today .what should I do b 4 trying to crank it . Should I pull the plugs n spray something in them b 4 cranking it please help don't want to hurt the new short block what's next ?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pop the inertia switch for the fuel pumps, crank for 5 seconds, stop for 5, crank for 5 seconds, stop for 5, crank for 10, stop for 5, reset switch, fire it up and let it sit and idle for a bit. If it clatters but does not stop in the first few seconds shut it off.

sclove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Come on guys help me out

19bonestock88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Plane travel? I'll do my flying on the ground, thanks!
they say to shoot penetrating oil in the plug holes to relubricate the rings...

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
adsm08 gave you about the best answer you could get. You shouldnt need to shoot anything in the plug holes, if you do, dont use much.

LARRYBOMB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86,'88,'89,'90
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L auto, 2.9L auto, 5.0L auto, 2.3L 5spd
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '91 F150 that sat for over 3 years (my uncle is original owner). I had to put on a new starter solenoid and battery. Checked my fuel pumps in both tanks. They both worked. Checked the oil and coolant. I added a little bit of new gas to the old gas in the tank and a bottle of heet/injector cleaner(red bottle). Cranked right up after a few tries. After I got it running I had to change the oil pan gasket. Changed the oil & filter, fuel filter and air filter. Put on new tires(the old ones rotted off) and shocks(still had originals) Drove to the gas station filled up with gas. Drove a few hundred miles and changed the fuel filter again. Truck runs great. This is just what I did. Just sharing my experience. I got it with 129,500 miles and now it has about 135,000.

I recently bought a 1990 Ranger 2.3L manual. It had been sitting for about 2 years. It had a broken timing belt so it wouldn't run. I towed it home and I changed the timing belt. Put on a new battery, checked the oil and coolant. I added about 1 gallon of gas to the old gas. Started right up after 2 cranks. It idled and runs fine. I then changed the oil & filter and the fuel filter. It takes the same fuel filter as my F150. I have been driving it to work the past week and a half. Gas mileage is better than my F150's 302. :icon_cheers:

Just add some new gas to it. Check the oil level. Top off the coolant. Make sure fuel pump is working. Charge the battery or put on a new one and crank it. If it was running good when it was parked I wouldn't worry about it. It should start right up if nothing is wrong with it. You could even change the fuel filter first if you want.

Edit: I see you put on new fuel pumps.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals