• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help 2.9 fuel rpoblem

rcwc28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford&mazda
Engine Size
2.3/both
Transmission
Manual
hi got an 88 bronco 2 i lose fuel pressure it will run fine at an idle but under load it will die it sputters and chokes and then dies i put a gage on it and it reads 33 psi so thats good right ?? then i reved it 3 times and watched the gauge drop 3 consecutive thime so from 33 psi 20 psi to 0 psi .????
oh and i checked my fpr vaccum line no gas out of it so thats good
i replaced the filter and the pump on the rail???? do you think its in tank pump ??? please help

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
hi got an 88 bronco 2 i lose fuel pressure it will run fine at an idle but under load it will die it sputters and chokes and then dies i put a gage on it and it reads 33 psi so thats good right ?? then i reved it 3 times and watched the gauge drop 3 consecutive thime so from 33 psi 20 psi to 0 psi .????
oh and i checked my fpr vaccum line no gas out of it so thats good
i replaced the filter and the pump on the rail???? do you think its in tank pump ??? please help
Before digging into the in tank pump....double check that the timing is correct.

double check for vacuum leaks as well. Could not hurt to see if there is any codes present too.

Not to say that the in tank FP could be still the culprit....just to cover other things 1st before digging into it

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
IMenriched shouldn't the fuel pressure stay the same or rise when it's revved? No fuel from the FPR doesn't mean it's good either. Mine was bad and it didn't leak fuel,I took it and had it checked and it showed fine for them but ran bad again soon after....then I used my cousins tester and found out it was bad. If you do need a FPR Rockauto.com had one for $28.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
IMenriched shouldn't the fuel pressure stay the same or rise when it's revved? No fuel from the FPR doesn't mean it's good either. Mine was bad and it didn't leak fuel,I took it and had it checked and it showed fine for them but ran bad again soon after....then I used my cousins tester and found out it was bad. If you do need a FPR Rockauto.com had one for $28.
Yes, just because it isn't leaking fuel out the little vacuum line on the FPR, is NOT a clear indicator that is Good. only that the internal diaphragm isn't leaking.....FPR can fail in other ways too. they can seize/stick and generate too much pressure which is not good either. or not generate enough pressure.

that is why the suggestion was to get fuel pressure readings and correctly determine if the FPR is working correctly and funnel precious funds towards possible other issues. Sorry if that was misleading earlier

rcwc28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford&mazda
Engine Size
2.3/both
Transmission
Manual
you guys are right i found that my fpr and my fuel rail is loose although the rail is loose but is still firmly in place but what if my fpr is loose too
oh and mt timeing dead on heck i drove like it is for two weeks like it is now just ran low on fuel so i hit the gas stop and well murpy's law comes in effect and due process of working out the bugs on a new old rig lol hey any of you guys in washington down by tacoma by chance ?????
im stumpped

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals