• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! dana 44 hi tops not clearing calipers!

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, lets just say i’m am in the process of building a Hermaphrodite axle to go onto my hermaphrodite pickup.

SORRY AHEAD OF TIME FOR THE SHORT ESSAY, i believe if your gunna throw out your 2cents its good to know the back ground and whole story and situation.

little back ground, about two years ago i started up on my first 4x4 build, im not a newb, went through a rebuild and restore with my old 2wd ’82 chevy shortwide with the stock 6.2L diesel (2/4 drop and all the body work and interior). So i nabbed a dana 30 for my ranger because i had a number of friends running them in all sorts of jeeps with 35’s and 33’s.

So finally after i finished everything and completed the entire pickup, i realized that the dana 30 is a complete pile of SH*T! I hate the wheel bearings, the balljoints, the weak ass C’s, and full time 4wheel drive is not fun when half your driving is on the street.:shok:
But since i just dumped $150 (R&P) $100 (master install kit) and $250 for having a shop instal and spec it, (i was not comfortable doing it on my DD) i am kind of stuck with it. UNTIL i came across a guy about 45 min away from me.:bawling:

I nabbed a Ford 1977.5 Dana 44 HD 3/4 ton leaf sprung high pinion housing and flat top knuckles, and after talking to scott, he hooked me up with; Ford 1979 Dana 44 coil sprung 1/2 ton spindles, stub shaft, rotors, outers, outer bearings, spindle nuts and matching nuts and bolts. All for $150.:headbang:
........I did not not get, inner axle shafts, diff cover, carrier, R&P.

So for now, i am planning on building the hybrid dana 30/44. Cutting the C’s off the dana 30 and tossing everything from there out and replacing it with the dana 44. I will be cutting off the dana 44 C’s, sleeving the 3” C’s down to the 2-1/2” with a 3” O.D. 1/4” wall tube, then tack welding everything in place and in the correct angles while triple and quadruple checking every measurement, then slap it all together, multiple times before i take it to my uncles welding shop to get everything burned in with a high nickel stick weld. I am also planning on building a axle truss to secure and strengthen everything since i am running 35x12.50x15’s and have modified the axle.

:dunno:.....................NOW FOR MY ONLY ISSUE.............:pissedoff:
(that i have currently run into)

The 1977.5 HD 3/4 ton dana 44 hightop (knuckles & C’s) came stock with the dual piston brake caliper, while the 1979 Dana 44 coil sprung 1/2 ton came stock with the single piston brake caliper.
SO WHILE EVERYTHING ELSE on this all fits and slides together like butter and like it was made to work together, i can not for the life of me get the (1/2 ton) single piston brake caliper to fit with the (3/4 ton) knuckle .:icon_confused:
........The only way i can see these fitting would be to cut out a section of the knuckle (where the bottom of the caliper hits) with a cuttoff wheel on the grinder making straight lines. Cut all 3 sides (~3”x4” square piece), flip it so instead of the rounded arched side going up (away from axle shaft or center) it would become con-caved and the rounded arched now facing axle center/shaft. to hopefully allow for the clearance i need to run the calipers.:icon_welder:

UNLESS anybody else has any other options or ideas!!!!

Attachments

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yes, im well aware they do not fit right now, thats why i am asking if anyone else has any opinions of this.

Like should or shouldnt i cut and modify the knuckle to accept it, or if there was a dual piston caliper that can work with the 1/2 ton system.

bc i know for a fact the everything else fits together and operates

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
There is no way to run Ford 1/2 brakes and have flat tops.....unless you buy Ried Racing knuckles.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Or find a 78 F150 super cab driver knuckle, but they never made a Ford 1/2 ton passenger side flat top.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals