• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help from those running 33's...

2tonefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I am looking to run 33x12.5r15 on my 2007 FX4. Right now my suspension is bone stock. If I crank my tbars about 2 inches and swap out my shackles, will they fit without removing the bumper valance? Or is it too tight of a fit? Any input is much appreciated...

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
what rims are you gunna run

scrizzo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your just driving it on the street u should be fine... a 15x8 rim with 3.75 backspace would be best....i have 33s on my 2000 with a t-bar crank and explorer leafs i havent gotten it to rub yet....
another option is a 33 10.5 instead...leaves u a little clearance

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
just get a 3" body lift like everyone else, then crank to level

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah you will probably need a body lift with the newer rangers. 06+ i think the 4x4's sat about 2" lower.

And it would be wise to think about a gear swap.

2tonefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I figured I was gonna need a bl, but was trying to somehow skirt around it. Then I gotta mess with my bull bar brackets, and reese hitch will hang too. Was planning on running 15x8 rims, and do very little if any offroading. It is pretty well for appearance purposes only, but will look into it. Thanks.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well there is always the expensive option of a superlift... it would be like 1500 buck but it would give you a 4" lift to clear the tires and keep your bull bar and trailer hitch in place

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'd crank the t-bars and do beltech shackles out back and 33x10.5's. Course if you are all about the looks then maybe a skinny 33 isn't for you....but it is an option. You might get slightly better gas mileage with the 10.5 wides versus the 12.5. You could then get away better without having to regear.

just a thought....

2tonefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah you will probably need a body lift with the newer rangers. 06+ i think the 4x4's sat about 2" lower.

And it would be wise to think about a gear swap.
Alright, I'm sold on the body lift. I am determined to fit 33x12.5. I really like the looks. A gear swap is something, however, that never even crossed my mind. I am gonna be honest, I have no idea what it is stock. But what is a good setup? And what are the consequences for not swapping gears?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Alright, I'm sold on the body lift. I am determined to fit 33x12.5. I really like the looks. A gear swap is something, however, that never even crossed my mind. I am gonna be honest, I have no idea what it is stock. But what is a good setup? And what are the consequences for not swapping gears?
Well you probably have 4.10's stock being that its an FX4 I assume. But it could also have 3.73 or 3.55 gearing.

A good setup for 33's is usually 4.56's I think but it all depends on what your doing. some people need 4.88 some people are fine with 4.10's

Without a gear swap and changing to such large tires I would say maybe a 3 - 5 MPG drop in fuel mileage (varies with driving habits), more sluggish acceleration (you'll notice it more with a stick). more strain on your engine and transmission.

2tonefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well you probably have 4.10's stock being that its an FX4 I assume. But it could also have 3.73 or 3.55 gearing.

A good setup for 33's is usually 4.56's I think but it all depends on what your doing. some people need 4.88 some people are fine with 4.10's

Without a gear swap and changing to such large tires I would say maybe a 3 - 5 MPG drop in fuel mileage (varies with driving habits), more sluggish acceleration (you'll notice it more with a stick). more strain on your engine and transmission.
I gotcha, and appreciate the help. I do little if any offroading. My mods are purely for appearance purposes, but will have to look into this. I go through a 2-3 tanks of gas a week for work, so that would kill my wallet with such a mpg drop.

2tonefx4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just looked into it, and I am running stock limited slip 8.8" with 4.10 gears in an FX4 w/5 speed. Like i said, i dont do any real offroading (i'm too worried about scratches!), but tend to be very heavy into the throttle. Not so much with roasting tires, but hard acceleration. Is this going to be too much strain on the engine and transmission? I just dont wanna cause any real damage. This truck is my daily driver nearing the end of its warranty...

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
You may want to think about cranking the T-bars and doing 31s instead. It'll look similar, but be cheaper and easier.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You may want to think about cranking the T-bars and doing 31s instead. It'll look similar, but be cheaper and easier.
pretty sure fx4s came with atleast 31s on them factory, im for cranking em and a shackle, call it a day, the 33's should fit then

MasherAZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you do a lot of driving for work and a lot of that driving is freeway driving I'd recommend new gears. Trying to get on the freeway with 4.10s is like driving a turd. If you are not planning on offroading much then bodylift is the way to go. Especially if you have nerf bars/side steps then you can't even see the frame. But keep in mind, with the B/L, gearing and new tires you'll probably still be spending about $4000 on all this stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals