• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help identifying engine year

Tavis V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I found an engine for sale but the owner does not know the year. I'm wondering if anybody would be able help Identify the year of this engine? They think it's a 1993/94 but just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Attachments

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Impossible to tell from those two pictures.

It's pre '95 for sure. What vehicle did it come out of? Some 93 and ALL '94 Explorers will have a cam sensor. 90-94 Rangers and 91-92 Explorers do not. I am not sure on Aerostars. 93-94's have slightly updated heads, if you can find a casting number that starts in 93TM, that will give you some clue... 90TM was the 90-92 head style. But even seeing the 93TM number is not a certainty, those could have just been installed on an older block at some point.

Tavis V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
They said it came out of a ranger with the same body style as a 94 ranger but they weren't sure. Where would the casting number be located? I can ask them to take a picture of it. I blew up my 1993 3.0 engine and was hoping this one would be able to replace it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's a 4.0 V6 pictured, it will not bolt up to your transmission.

Tavis V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Ahh ok. I asked them to find a serial number on the engine. Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to fit a 4.0? If they by chance have the transmission with it and it's a manual like my truck, would I be able to just replace both transmission and engine (besides the fact of the engine mounts being different). Would the wiring harness be an issue even if they were both the OBD I? Just new to this and seeing what my options are.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You would need the transmission, exhaust, computer, starter, flywheel & clutch assembly, not sure on the wiring harness - most of the sensors and plugs are the same but potentially not all. Safest bet would be to grab that too. You'd need other small things as well, belts/hoses/fan/etc. My list is not all inclusive by any means, I probably forgot a piece or two. Swapping a 4.0 into your truck is not super complicated, it just gets difficult if you don't have easy access to every little piece, sometimes it is better to use a direct replacement 3.0 rather than monkey with a dead truck for months while you search for parts.

Is this a junkyard you're dealing with? I see there is what looks like a Ford A4LD automatic and a Ford radiator in the second pic... looks like 4 cylinder parts to me though? Maybe they have a stash of stuff?

Tavis V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I see thank you for the info. And no it's not a junk yard just a person selling a bunch of ranger parts they have. Not sure of all the parts they have. I knew swapping to a 4.0. would be a bigger project then just a direct swap with another 3.0, doing the conversion would be out of my skill range I think. Especially like you said trying to find all the parts to make it work. Just trying to get my dead 3.0 back on the road. Was looking to do just swap instead of ripping the engine apart but tough finding a 3.0 engine where I am.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I see thank you for the info. And no it's not a junk yard just a person selling a bunch of ranger parts they have. Not sure of all the parts they have. I knew swapping to a 4.0. would be a bigger project then just a direct swap with another 3.0, doing the conversion would be out of my skill range I think. Especially like you said trying to find all the parts to make it work. Just trying to get my dead 3.0 back on the road. Was looking to do just swap instead of ripping the engine apart but tough finding a 3.0 engine where I am.
Did you look on www.car-part.com?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
No prob. Should be able to find a good 3.0 somewhere - Rangers, Aerostar vans, Taurus cars all used that engine. IIRC the Taurus engines are not a direct bolt in but can be made to work fairly easily.

Tavis V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I was able to get the vin of the ranger it was pulled from and a couple pictures of numbers from the engine, but not the serial number from engine. Would the vin be enough to tell me more about the engine?

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
It's definitely a 4.0 as others have said. Apparently it was removed from a 94 ranger, that is a 91-94 4.0..can tell from the upper intake manifold. Looking at the front accessories, it most likely came from a 93-94 ranger or explorer. The transmission is an automatic with the torque converter beside it.

You mentioned your ranger is a 5spd manual, you would need a transmission, harness computer, and accessories as that 4.0 looks like some are damaged or missing. It were my truck I would pass on it. The older taurus has a 3.0 vulcan, those should be plentiful to find. Find a good long block, buy new gaskets for your 3.0 ranger, and use all your ranger accessories and parts to bolt on the engine.

That 4.0 would be good for someone who already owns a 4.0. Without having all you need for a swap, would be a challenge to locate what you need and to be in good shape.

Is your 3.0 ranger a 93-94?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The VIN will give you the year but I don’t think that means much. Who knows the history… I’ve personally used the same engine in 3 trucks, these things have had a lot of people touching them over the years.

heads may have a casting number somewhere on them near the plug holes. May start in 90TM of 93TM

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No 3.0 ever had the oil filter on the passenger side. They're always right over the starter on the driver's side.

As mentioned, the 3.0 was used in many vehicles over the years, so there are different configurations, but the good news is that all 3.0 short blocks are interchangeable. So even though it may be hard to find a 3.0 from a 94 Ranger, with a little work you can use just about any Vulcan 3.0.

Tavis V

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
It's definitely a 4.0 as others have said. Apparently it was removed from a 94 ranger, that is a 91-94 4.0..can tell from the upper intake manifold. Looking at the front accessories, it most likely came from a 93-94 ranger or explorer. The transmission is an automatic with the torque converter beside it.

You mentioned your ranger is a 5spd manual, you would need a transmission, harness computer, and accessories as that 4.0 looks like some are damaged or missing. It were my truck I would pass on it. The older taurus has a 3.0 vulcan, those should be plentiful to find. Find a good long block, buy new gaskets for your 3.0 ranger, and use all your ranger accessories and parts to bolt on the engine.

That 4.0 would be good for someone who already owns a 4.0. Without having all you need for a swap, would be a challenge to locate what you need and to be in good shape.

Is your 3.0 ranger a 93-94?
Ok thank you. Yes my ranger is a 93 3.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals