• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help on converting auto lock hubs to manual

mspringer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 92 ford explorer v6 and i believe it has abs. i'm wanting to convert my auto lock hubs to manual is there anything i need to know? also what do i need to know get and how much will this all roughly cost?

thanks in advance
mspringer

mspringer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks Hahnsb2 now what all do i need...well besides obviously the hubs and do i need to modify the tcase or anything else?

thanks again
mspringer

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Cost all depends on where/ how you get the parts. I got everything to do mine, including the hubs, for 30 bucks at a wrecking yard. But, if you buy everything new, you could spend $100-150 or more.

You need:
both manual hubs
the hub locknut/ rings

That's it. The hardest part is getting the lock nut/ conversion kit if you do not want to buy new. If you are fine with buying new, everything is easy.

There is alot of info on this subject in the tech library.
here's a few links:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/LockNuts.html
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/howto_hubswap.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Winter2002/hubs.htm

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Hahnsb2 got to it before me...
As for the t-case, there is no differance. The hubs and retaining nuts are all that you will need to change. I'm assuming you know though, that if you are going down the road and shift into 4wd, you will only truely be driving all 4 wheel if you had locked in the hubs before hand. (there's some stupid people in this world who can't grasp that)

Last edited:

mspringer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks dogboy do you think it would be worth doing and should i do it myself or have someone else do it? i was looking at warn hubs are they a good brand if not what is a good brand?

thanks again
mspringer

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Warn is the best, and the next best is MileMarker.

To my knoweldge, they are almost the same thing though.

If it's worth doing or not, I think, depends on how you use the truck. If you only use the 4wd for things like snowy days, or dirt roads, then I'd say keep the stock auto hubs, they are just fine for that purpose. But, if you do any type of trails, then you want the manuals. When you change directions (forward to reverse) the hubs go from being locked forwards, then they unlock, and lock again in reverse. And vise versa if you go from reverse to forward. This action tends to grenade the auto hubs very quickly.
But, if you only use 4wd for things like snowy roads, and dirt roads, you don't really have to worry about that.

If you are remotely mechanicly inclined, you can do the swap. Just look at the directions that are in the tech library and they will walk you through the install. If you have ever taken off your brake rotors in the front, you have already done most of the steps involved. The only differance is you put it back together with slightly different parts.

mspringer

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks dogboy, how long would this take? i forgot to mention and this is going to be a stupid question and i apologize ahead of time but i have push button 4 wheel drive is that going to change anything?

thanks again
mspringer

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
thanks dogboy, how long would this take? i forgot to mention and this is going to be a stupid question and i apologize ahed of time but i have push button 4 wheel drive is that going to change anything?

thanks again
mspringer
No.. If anything it's better incase you accidently hit the 4x4 button without the hubs locked.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Best bet is to clean the grease out with brake cleaner and then use a smaller magnet. Any magnet big enough to pull it out of dried up grease won't be centralized enough on one area to do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals