• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP pitman arm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
pitman arm removal please move to help forum could not find right forum. have a pitman arm puller on the arm and it wont budge please give input

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They can be a pain sometimes. You can try tapping on the end of the puller, sometimes the vibration will break it loose. Using an impact on the puller is good. Heating the arm with a torch is also an option but you have to be very careful not get it too hot or you can damage the steering box.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
pitman arm removal please move to help forum could not find right forum. have a pitman arm puller on the arm and it wont budge please give input
First time is a biotch. Make sure when you put it back on to use anti-sieze if you ever intend on getting it off again AND torque that nut down pretty good.

Back when I did mine, I put the puller on with an impact tight as I thought it would go without stripping the puller apart, then heated the arm up (don't heat the gear box) for about 8 seconds....then hit it with the impact and hit down on the arm with a big sledge simultaneously. It will break free if not that time, then on round two (let everything cool a bit before trying again).

Idea is to heat the arm itself up just enough for it to expand and get bigger, resulting in a less tight of a fit on the tapered splines. But if you get it too hot then the sector shaft expands as well and swells on the pitman arm = don't do that cuz you could melt the seals quick.

Goodluck :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
tried for a while with the puller, impact, and heat combo.. got nothing so i soaked it in pb blaster and let it sit for the night as i buttoned up the rad arm xmember and rad arms. might pick up a different puller the one i ended up with isnt adjustable, thanks alot for the input guys. hopefully the darn thing pops off tomorrow i need the truck for the week ahead... wish they had a home simpson
DOH! smiley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
got the pitman arm off!!!! tried for 2 hours last night, get to it tonight, we torqued the puller, and within 15 taps of a mini sledge it popped off... i was soooo happy haha, looks like i really need an sj drop pitman arm though. front just needs brakes and its done!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I always use the impact and hammer method. Hasn't failed me yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals