• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help please!!!!!

stingray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused::icon_confused:hey guys, i just purchased a 2001 ranger from a guy and the engine runs hot,he has changed t-stat,water pump,hoses,etc. i tore into the engine and found blown head gasket on pass. side. took heads to machine shop and found that one of the heads are cracked.now here is the kicker,my 8th letter of the vin # is v which i am told is flex fuel.the casting number on both heads are F6DE with no other numbers or letters,the casting number on block is 2F1E-AA.is this a flex fuel motor?has the motor been changed with something else?does this motor belong to this truck?according to auto parts places this is not a flex fuel head. is it going to affect anything if i continue to use this type of head (reman of course). just being cautious i guess. any help would be appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At some point, around late 2000, or early 2001, they quit using the separate casting for the flex fuel cylinder heads. The only difference between the two was a slightly different combustion chamber shape. As long as you use matching heads (both flex fuel, or both regular) it won't matter. You won't lose/affect your flex fuel abilities with the non-flex heads. Ford used the non-flex heads on all flex fuel trucks for many years.

stingray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info guys,i guess that i might just try to by an engine,i don't know how hot this thing has been ran.i am having trouble finding an engine though because i have been told that since mine is a 2001 with eigth digit of vin being a v that only 2001 will work

stingray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the responses guys

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Mazda 2001 B-3000(3.0l) also came with Flex fuel option, V in VIN same as Ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals