• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help replacing this item.

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
Eagles May soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Based on the picture below I need to replace this item. It is no longer attached to the Valve cover. What is it called and do I need to remove the Valve cover to replace it? I checked under the hood after driving it around for fun today and noticed it was sitting cattiewompus in the hole it’s meant to be in. I know it has to do with the vacuum system. And it might explain moisture in the oil since it is an open hole into the engine.
Any help would be appreciated!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
PCV valve. It is just a snug fit in the grommet on the valve cover. Should be a hose going from there to your intake plenum, probably near the air filter housing.

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
It is not a snug fit. It comes out easily while driving. So the grommet needs to be replaced more than likely?

Edited to say driving not forcing

Last edited:

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The grommet needs to be replaced. Try https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-pcv-valve-grommet-0715-in-id-1440-in-od-0493-in-thickness-42049/5017688-P?searchTerm=pcv+grommets . It's the closest thing I have found to the original Ford grommet. Definitely a lot less expensive than the Ford part if you can find one. The fit in the valve cover isn't as tight as it could be, but it fits fine with the PCV valve in it. Be careful pulling the old grommet out, it may or may not come out in one piece. The PCV valve connects to the 3/8" port on the upper intake manifold just behind the bottom of the throttle body.
Actually, looking at your picture, it looks like the PCV valve is still connected to the upper intake. It's just got a weird 90° hose/connector on it (the connection on the PCV valve is usually straight). You might check the PCV valve to see if it still works. With the valve out and the engine running you should have very little, if any, suction at the base of the valve. It should increase when you hit the throttle. If it's plugged up you can try cleaning it with carb cleaner, gas, etc, or just buy a new one. Good luck finding one with the 90° connection though.

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Advance usually has these in stock. If you pay online (for an in stock item) you can use a 20% code at checkout. Not much for a $4 item, but it's something. The problem with the Rock Auto PCV valve is that your existing hose may be too short. The old valve extends out and then 90°. If the old hose has slack, the standard straight valve may work.

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
There is a little slack in the hose. Advanced also has the valve. Maybe I’ll just pick them up together.

thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
There is a little slack in the hose. Advanced also has the valve. Maybe I’ll just pick them up together.

thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
Just a quick note, the quoted description for the PCV is a "controlled vacuum leak", and while the part is cheap, and I'm sure some experienced folks will argue generic is fine, it may be worthwhile to spend the few extra bucks on the 'properly calibrated' motorcraft one, if available.
also, be sure to cap the small port, if your engine doesn't use it. the generic PCVs often come with a little tab plug that you break of and push into the port, or a vacuum cap

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals