• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help solving 4.0 misfire/bog cylinders 1-3 mid throttle.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You'd be surprised what a leak even a foot after could do to an HO2S reading.

A sethoscope is still a great tool and can be had for $5.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay so before I installed the part I went over it all once more. And I discovered that I had an opening in my intake tube on he bottom near the throttle body. So I fixed it, cleared all the codes, and welded the rest of the exhaust on. I think it did the trick. I drove about 20 miles just like I do to work and it didn't skip a beat. So now I feel stupid and im taking the 02 sensor back to the store...btw thrush with a side exit sound quite nice. Suttle at idle and rumbles on accel.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do have a a stethoscope, thats how I found the tick in the injector. I was just stating it was audible.
Okay so like I said I went and returned my 02 sensor on the truck with cleared codes and when I got home I tested the codes again and these are what I found.
173- Because it gone of course
176-(M) Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean Left or Front HO2S
214-(M) Error in Cylinder ID (CID) circuit or signal
336-(O,R,M) PFE sensor signal is/was was high - ">PFE

weird that I have a code for the opposite 02 now and it ran fine. Also the other two last codes are new. Not sure what they mean either. I'm going to look them up.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I found out about the codes.
It seems like the 214 is usually just a connector but the 336 is related to the egr. the issue is the I did unplug the vac line to the egr to apply full vacuum and check it was opening after I cleared the codes. I am not sure if that could of some how caused the code. If not then the dpfe could probably cause the issue I was having. The EGR is always closed at WOT so that would explain the WOT running good. It also would explain it being intermittent slightly with it being better and worse.
I guess I will see if the problem comes back and I can go from there and see I guess. What do you guys think?

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay of course the issue has come back on the way to work. Im pretty stumped right now. I've used 38 of a tank after 50 miles of driving.....

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Any opening after the MAF is going to screw with things.

It's also a good chance the EGR and or egr tube/passages are clogged with carbon. Taking the tube and upper intake off to clean the passages may be more than a good idea if clogged.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay so I took all the connectors to all the sensors off and cleaned and re installed them. I took the dpfe off and cleaned it out. I do plan to to clean the egr system this weekend but I took it out and drove about 25 miles without any issues so we will see what happens tommorow. After I clean the EGR I am going to reset the codes and see what I get.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I really do not know. Once again it was completley fine last night and this morning it was terrible. I tested the egr and it opened and closed just fine. Sooooo I have no clue. The trans is now leaking.and the radiator is seeping ....what is the deal. Im thinking it may be cheaper and easier to just go with the 5.0 swap and replace it all. Im really just down about this right now.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No one else has any clue?

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some more stuff I would like to add.
I tried to just hold my throttle perfectly steady in one spot about 75% no matter what the reaction or speed of the car. Starting at about 70 mph WOT I dropped to 75% throttle and the engine lost power and slow down slowly to about 35 where it sounded like it completley died....it popped and came to life and quickley accelerated to 75 mph for about 5 miles until it lost power again and slowed down to 35 and held there powerless for about 3 miles where the engine once again sounded like it died for a second and came to life and ran like a raped ape up to 75 where it held for about 7 miles all the way to my house. Im starting to think the o2 sensor is reacting very very slow and that's why it is intermittent. Thhats all I can even think of.

bigmacmonday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My advice is to replace the o2 sensors

Some more stuff I would like to add.
I tried to just hold my throttle perfectly steady in one spot about 75% no matter what the reaction or speed of the car. Starting at about 70 mph WOT I dropped to 75% throttle and the engine lost power and slow down slowly to about 35 where it sounded like it completley died....it popped and came to life and quickley accelerated to 75 mph for about 5 miles until it lost power again and slowed down to 35 and held there powerless for about 3 miles where the engine once again sounded like it died for a second and came to life and ran like a raped ape up to 75 where it held for about 7 miles all the way to my house. Im starting to think the o2 sensor is reacting very very slow and that's why it is intermittent. Thhats all I can even think of.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats the plan.

nofordstranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Please Find a Solution - I am Going Through Same Thing

I have the same symptoms - 1998 Ranger - I found the o2 sensor plug was not snapped, I snapped it in and still have problem. I have done same things. I bought it was missing, and ran bad. I changed nearly everything, ran good for a couple days, then had problem again. I had a code for VSS come up. Mine is on the diff, my speedometer works fine, I bought one , could this cause our problems, I will post my results

tec2484

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
PortnPolish did the O2 sensors fix it? My truck has started doing the same thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals