• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with spindle removal

smaug6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am removing a front spindle on a 86 bronco II with auto locking hubs. I have everything off down to the spindle shaft and have removed the nuts holding the spindle. I can't get the spindle to come off. I have tapped it as the manual says but no dice. Any help would be appreciated.:icon_confused:

dennis461

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Jeep
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
does it look like this

does it look like this
first make sure the spindle nut is off, I'm not sure of your particular nut situation
I can send pics of how to do it.
Tapping won't work.

d

edit
You may need to get a very sharp chisel and start working around the perimeter to break it free.
Just hit the chisel a few times, then move a little, hit again.
Clean all the rust off with electric wire wheel so you can see where the spindle and knuckle come together. Look for the "parting line".
Do not try to drive this deep into the parts, just enough to get it moving out.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
^ what is that?

i usually thread the spindle nut back onto the spindle and carefully smack that with a hammer. steel on steel produces the best jarring load...but if you wrap the nut with cloth you can wail on it a little harder without deforming the nut (check the nut often to make sure you arent damaging it).

if all else fails, heat can be applied.

smaug6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice! I am not sure I can try this. There seems to be a flange around the spindle which is part of the knuckle. See Pics. Do you know of another way? Also I wonder if you know where I can buy a lock nut and key. I screwed up and forgot to remove the key and cracked the lock nut and destroyed the key. I think I can file the spindle threads and get that to work but I will need a new nut and key. See attached pics.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
pic didnt work for me.

id hit the junkyard. you need the spindle nut from a truck with auto hubs...the manual hub spindle nuts wont work.

smaug6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
This may be the best way to go in my situation. Do you know where I could get another nut and key?

smaug6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice. I will try your method. I will call the junk yard. Much appreciated.

smaug6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Junkyard was the answer. I got the parts and put it all back togeather. Now the 4wd lights are flashing and she won't come out of 4wd. WTF????!!!!!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i think theres a bunch of info on how to test the 4x4 module in the tech library. flashing OD lights means theres a fault and the system cant shift into 4wd....most likely unrelated to your front end work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals