• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help with whining sound

techsvcs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Help with whining sound poss trans problem?

Alright so here is my problem i have what i can only describe as a whining like something that is turning or spinning is whining you can only here it when driving, it's most noticeable when at about 35mph steady throttle and around 55 steady throttle its almost like a wheel bearing going bad sound but i know its not because i just replaced wheel bearings a month ago and last week i inspected them cleaned and re-greased them the sound is up front of my truck i have an 1987 ranger 2.9 manual transmission 4x4 i am not using my four wheel drive and hubs are free and i checked to make sure those shafts weren't turning. i replaced the rear part of the 2 piece rear drive shaft about a month ago because u joints were shot and i have greased front and rear part of the shaft i can feel the whining or high pitched sound in my gas pedal and i still feel it when i push the clutch in and let it coast i also can feel it more when i turn truck to the left but no change when i turn to the right any ideas what could be causing this because it seem to be getting worse? any help would be greatly appreciated i am stumped! Could this be a trans problem and if so what in the trans could it be?

Last edited:

techsvcs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for nobody even trying to attempt to answer my question!

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"i also can feel it more when i turn truck to the left but no change when i turn to the right"

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing, despite that they are new. What about the rotor dust shield, could that be scraping?

techsvcs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
1st of all thanks for answering my post and 2nd because i had just replaced the front wheel bearings and drive shaft i kept thinking it had to be the trans but i was wrong. you hit the nail on the head it was my driver side wheel bearings i must of had them too tight or didn't set the preload correctly. thanks for your help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals