• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hiccup?!?

slisdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was driving down the road the other day, not towing, not going fast at all(35ish) and my truck seemed to misfire or stumble, I use the term loosely, but the rpms dropped for a second and then came right back to normal and I continued on my way. Then a bit later, the truck acted like someone killed the ignition or something. It felt like someone hit the brakes! Definitely a more serious incident of whatever is happening than the first one. My gut tells me something in the ignition, but what could this be? I didn't do anything, it just kinda acted like it was going to die for a split second, but then came right back. Any ideas? 03, 4.0, 4x4

rags

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My first thought would be is youe check engine light on? Even if it isn't I would have the codes scanned since OBDII will also store pending codes without setting a light.

I would start there because it would be difficult to diagnose until it quits and you are stuck on the side of the road.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just curious have you replaced spark plugs/wires recently? I agree with checking for codes. Does this problem only happen off and on or is it all the time? It could be more than ignition such as fuel or compression. what about fuel filter or anything like that.

Keith

slisdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, I've only had this truck for about a year and a half. And I'm a student. Yes, I've put on tires, throttle body spacer and exhaust, but that was when I had a job. As far as wires and plugs, no. The truck would occasionaly miss, but my old Ranger did that and i just chalked that one up to it being severly used by the previous owner. I guess I just kind of ignored it. The CEL isn't on, never has been as long as I've owned it. It was a leased truck before I picked it up. And this is the first time it's happened this badly. Not the first time for more minor occurences though.

rags

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If it only does this once in awhile that is why no CEL. But it may set a pending code which will not turn the CEL on until it sees a continuous problem.

Thats why you should still have the computor scanned to see if there are any Pending Codes.

That will be the only way to point you in the right direction before it becomes a more serious problem.

JohnPi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would ask when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced, and make sure you have enough fuel. I had both issues, and they were similar symptoms to what you are talking about.

slisdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have no idea on the fuel filter, but I wasn't anywhere empty. How often should fuel filters be replaced?

slisdexia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I went to the dealership, they have no idea since it isnt showing any codes at all.. any ideas????

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hiccup

Fuel pump relay, bad vaccum leak at intake?

rab89

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
cat

Hey man, my buddy's dad's truck did this hiccup thing, it's a 97 but im 90% sure it's the same thing, as though your back tires are going over a bump? feels like it's not getting gas? if that sounds right, then go ahead and cut out your cat converter, his was all plugged up, and that cause all the trouble. also if it happens again stop and look underneath at the cat, his had a small red hot ring from all the pressure etc. check into it! im pretty sure thats your problem. cat's are stupid anyways! good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals