• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HID retrofits and radio noise

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
I use a CB in my daily driver, and have noticed a new noise source. Seems like when I get within 25 feet of a car with the super bright HID conversions, there's a very real noise problem. Wonder if anyone with the HIDs and comm radios in their Rangers have seen the same effect.

mrcarcrazy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i believe its due to RF that is dispersed by the HID ballast.

Some Lotus Owners have issues with their FM radio's after HID swap. its been attributed to the Ballast and Radio antenna being in close proximity.

I'm by no means an electrical engineer, so this could be a bit off.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The noise is coming through the coax/antenna. I'vebeen meaning to try out one of those filters that interrupt the antenna to the radio. But for me it's not really needed because at night i'm wheeling with my friends BS'in with them through the radio in close range.

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
fx4wannabe - that's exactly where your signals of interest come thru. The noise I have witnessed is so broadbanded that a good filter would remove the signal as well.

mrcarcrazy - that's what I figured. Wonder how the cars with factory HIDs solved the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Funny what an AM signal will pick up.
Most electrical components/appliances generate an AM signal and that is what you are hearing.
Not sure if about the device that Fx4wannabe01 wants to add between the antenna/coax/CB but anything added in will affect the SWR and we all know we need the lowest SWR for best comm.

There are speakers ($$$$$$$$) that can be purchased with DSP and some of them actually work or a DSP Unit, but they are usually used on SSB communications. Not sure how they will work if you use them on a straight up AM Signal Comm; should be ok but again it is the cost that makes it a bad choice for the CB.

calypso93/Fx4wannabe01,
If you guys find a solution or an add-in device for the antenna/coax system, let the site know because if it filters out an AM signal noise then it will be something I would like to see and read about.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Radio Shack made some 12v mobile DSP speakers for a few years. they have had fairly good reviews for what they are. i have one and will be installing it when i set up my cb in the coming weeks. about the only place you'll find them now is where i got mine: ebay. they go anywhere from $20-60 usually, depending on their condition. hope this helps.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
not a thing...i just adjust the squelch on the radio. 4 HID ballasts on the rig....hard to get away from it. lol.

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
In the 300 plus mobile radio installations I have done, I found it always best to stop as much noise before it gets in to receiver, than to try "cleaning it up" after the receiver. I s'pose the fix for the HID noise is right at the source. Makes me wonder if HID stuff has to be Part 97 ot 15 compliant with regards to RFI.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In the 300 plus mobile radio installations I have done, I found it always best to stop as much noise before it gets in to receiver, than to try "cleaning it up" after the receiver. I s'pose the fix for the HID noise is right at the source. Makes me wonder if HID stuff has to be Part 97 ot 15 compliant with regards to RFI.
Part 97 is Amateur rules.

Part 15 is where this problem fall.

If it is coming from another car you can't stop the nose from getting into your receiver. A good receiver will manage noise levels through noise blanking and noise reduction.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals