• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Mileage 2.3 with problems

jonnymotox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 with a 2.3 and it was up for Californias annual Smog test,I failed!
Before this I was driving to work one morning and the truck just Quit on me and when I came to a stop on the side of the road I noticed a Bright glow coming from underneath my truck. The "Cat was White Hot" and in my mind means Raw fuel being fed into the System. I had it towed home and there was "No Spark" I put in a New Distributor Complete. The truck started up and ran with a Miss at Idle after that. I put on a New "Cat" too. When I took it in to get it smogged It passed everything but the amount of Parts per(WhatEver) I have the List at home as I write this, Sorry! The max I could have was 120 and The truck is putting out about 850pts, The tester said I have Raw fuel dumping into the System. The truck has Lots of miles on it Probably about 2 or 300 Thousand on the injectors. When I pulled the plug wires, The #1 Cylinder when the Sparkplug wire was pulled had No effect on The way the Motor ran, it is getting spark to the cylinder but when I pulled the other wires one at a time if would kill the Motor. I listened to the motor with a Stethoscope and the #1 Injector was making way more noise than the others. I can't figure this out and don't want to spend an arm and a leg replacing part after part. and I did also just replace the T.P.S and it made No Difference.
Any Ideas? Any help on this would be great and I do plan on Replacing all The Injectors anyways, just because of the High Mileage.

Thanks
Jonny O

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
do a compression test! it would be my first move since you might have a valve train problem... such as a possible burned/bent exhaust valve, which would eliminate compression on that cyl and pump the fuel it injects right into the exhaust w/o burning. this would explain having spark on the cyl, and fuel being injected but not effecting the idle when pulling the plug wire.

its a place to start.

jonnymotox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks I'll try that this weekend and let you know! Thanks again Mike.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
good deal johnny... let me know the results.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if a compression test shows all is OK, swap the #1 injector with one of the other 3 and restart the motor. if the problem follows the injector, replace it. if it stays at the #1 cylinder, you have a wiring or some other unknown problem.

jonnymotox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys!
I got so busy doing Honey Do's I couldn't get to it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals