• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High pressure in tank fuel pump

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I saw some people talking about changing the in tank fuel pumps on my 1987 ranger from low pressure to the high pressure pumps in the newer rangers. I have dual tanks and I am looking for what year pump I need to buy.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So after looking at a few websites, it looks like around 1989 that went to a 51psi pump in the tank. I can buy just the pump and parts to replace the i tank pump without replacing the sending unit frame. I am not sure how it will fit but I have a spare sending unit in my parts stash.

JerrySab

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Super interested to see how this works out. I know the fuel gauge voltage in the 89+ models differs from the 88-, but if you hack the high pressure pump into the sending unit frame, shouldn't be an issue. I couldn't find (quickly, at least) specs on the size of the pump itself, but eager to see what you discover.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pulled the reservoir last night. It was a pain in the ass with my 2 wheel drive. What as mess it is. front fuel filter, high press fuel pump, fuel reservoir and then tank selector switch. Don't blow in the ports to check it that gas does not taste so good.

Raider_130

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just installed an in-tank HP pump from a '91, and a fuel filter from an '01 Focus to replace the old HP pump. Plug and play on the filter, small bending modifications on the fuel pump for installation. Electrical plug and lines are happy. I haven't checked on the fuel gauge info as yet.

Mine is a single tank, so have no info on dual tank installation. I know most manufacturers went away from dual tanks when they transitioned to pusher pumps as pump life became an issue because folks would run one tank, or the other, dry.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found some in tank high pressure pumps. Does anybody know the specs for the stock pump as far as electronic requirements? I want to make sure the the higher pressure pump will work with the stock components?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rangers have no electronics involved with fuel pumps, they are either on or off
There is no pressure sensor or Driver Module

Pre-1998 Rangers with Fuel Injection used electric high pressure pumps capable of 80+ PSI
And there was a Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on the engine's Fuel Rail that sent all but 30-40psi pressure/fuel back to the gas tank on the Return fuel line

1998 and up had the FPR inside the gas tank with the pump, it maintained 60psi at the engine end, no Return line

Same high pressure pump was used in all years, with obvious mounting changes but fuel volume delivery was the same, about 100 liters per hour or 25 gallons per hour which is fine up to 275 horse power
Which is why no pump change needed for stock V8 swaps

So any electric pump capable of 100 liters/25 gal per hour is fine to use, over that and all you are doing is circulating more fuel via the return line

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My truck has dual tanks. It has low pressure pumps in the tanks, "pusher pumps". It has a tank selector switch, fuel reservoir, a fuel filter then I high pressure inline fuel pump. What I am planning on doing is putting some 51 psi pumps in the tanks. Removing the fuel reservoir and high pressure inline pump. I just want to make sure that the wiring can handle the higher pressure pump and I also want to setup the roll over switch to stop the tank pumps if needed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Inertia switch is already there if its a 2.9l engine, in passenger side foot well on firewall
Current pumps, 3, all run off the same wire and fuse so switching to 2 pumps will be less amps

I assume current dash switch switches gauges AND low pressure pump 12volts, so you would be all set as is, in fact better since only 1 in-tank pump would be running at a time instead of 2 pumps like now

Current low and high pressure pumps running at the same time draw 8-9amps, single high pressure pump 6-7amps

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So does the relay run all three? I am not a hack builder. I want to remove the frame pump and wires. I have to make new fuel lines as well

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the fuel pump relay powers all fuel pumps
Its the green relay in engine bay, if it has been changed only the base/socket of this relay will be green

On pre-1998 Factory Dual tank Fords there will also be a 6 port Tank selector in the frame rail

Can look like this: https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/669589/fullsize/d01assembled.jpg
Or this: https://www.f150forum.com/attachments/f12/528327d1501805313-help-fuel-tank-selector-valve-can-i-unscrew-fueltankselectorvalve.jpg

This is an electric switch, also a reservoir/filter
It is controlled by Tank Selector switch in the cab

Wiring for this type of setup looks complicated but its not that bad, seen here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1321058-installing-electronically-controlled-fuel-tank-selector-valve-1988-ford-f150.html

If this is the setup you have now no re-wiring is needed, you just remove the high pressure pump by the filter and tape off its 12v wire so it can't short, as its a live wire while driving
The 12v wires for each in tank pump are still hooked up to the Selector switch in the cab, as are the fuel level senders

Ford also used this type of 6 port dual tank selector but probably not in 1987: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0270/2573/5722/products/2_38247400-6064-4631-a7cc-1cd1e4db0df2_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1591604838
Same setup and wiring just no reservoir, these were used when Ford put high pressure pump in the tanks and dropped the frame mounted high pressure pumps, like you are doing
But there is no difference in the way it works

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe I found the pump I will be adapting to my current senders.
Flow: 340 Liter per Hour, at 43psi, 13.5V
Operational Pressure: 43-90psi
Pump Body Diameter: 3.8cm
Overall Length: 12cm
They are listing it for a 8-1989 and up ranger. Now I am trying to figure out the best to bypass the frame pump and reservoir. I will retain the original line filter and tank selector switch. This should keep my gauges and everything else the same as it is now.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The old system pressure was at most 10psi from tank to selector on the OUT lines, so you may want to add clamps to those and to the hose inside the tank
Return lines have 0 psi, just flow, as they are open at the tank end

The OUT from selector to filter will now have 40psi so will also need to be clamped, the OUT from filter is already set up for 40psi from the old high pressure pump
OUT fittings are 3/8" usually, Return 5/16"
Barbed fittings with clamps work fine, and fuel hose rated for pressure

Dorman has these converters, 3/8" to barb fittings: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-082?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhrLJ0pLN_gIVlAXnCh3VPwJvEAQYBCABEgIY5_D_BwE

Raider_130

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I believe I found the pump I will be adapting to my current senders.
Flow: 340 Liter per Hour, at 43psi, 13.5V
Operational Pressure: 43-90psi
Pump Body Diameter: 3.8cm
Overall Length: 12cm
They are listing it for a 8-1989 and up ranger. Now I am trying to figure out the best to bypass the frame pump and reservoir. I will retain the original line filter and tank selector switch. This should keep my gauges and everything else the same as it is now.

Raider_130

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The frame pump can be replaced with the 2001 Ford Fusion fuel filter mentioned in my post above. No fuel line replacement is necessary. Not a hack job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals