• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hmm...455 Olds Rocket?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the one it the picture is a '66 olds delmont

CTswampyankee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302HO
Transmission
Manual
Thats kinda funny u found 1. I just come across a 72 buick with a factory 455 rocket V8. Its sitting in the corrner of my local srap yard. I ran in to it when i was on a 8.8 ranger hunt. I bet i could get the engine VERY cheap there.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"Rocket" doesn't mean much. It was the style in the 50's and 60's to put wild names on mundane iron. Like Super Stud Jetfire Nuclear Blaster Weapon of Mass Destruction on a 7-1 compression 194cid six-popper.

Those pre-'72 engine ratings don't mean anything either. 400hp and 500ft# on a 455? The Pontiac Superduty in '73 made 395ft# NET and was a seriously bad-ass car--running the quarter in the 13's at around 105mph from the factory floor. Most 'pre '72 engines, like the old 460 that I got out of a '71 Lincoln and installed in my '64 Galaxie-and old 440s and 455s, were in the 350ft# NET range and were advertised in the 500ft# GROSS range. My '64 with the '71 460 with the compression reduced to 9.8:1 so it could run hard on pump gas, and with a Ford Motorsports cam on a straight-up, Performer intake, AFB carb, electronic ignition, 3.0 gears with an open axle and a C6 ran 5mph slower than a SD TA at 3800#.

I didn't mention horsepower because horsepower is easy to get by spinning the motor faster. Torque is tough because you need more air per cycle to get it--horsepower just need more cycles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals