• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hobbies

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
What other hobbies is everyone into? Anyone into guitars? Any suggestions for someone just learning to play? Sure is much more difficult than it seems.

Last edited:

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
collecting license plates. just random old plates from alberta with a few others thrown in. they go on my wall. i used to do the model car thing. i have other hobbies but i cant think of them right now

also vintage videogame systems/games

Last edited:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
i like the remote control car thang. it is sweet. i remember the start in middle school. I still want a nitro car haha. but the truck is my new passion

recklessabandonman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Automatic
For guitar, learn the blues and pentatonic scales, and just improv blues solo until the sun goes down. :icon_hornsup:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Ibanez RG5** series.

Probably the sweetest playing guitar that you can find and once you have one, you WON'T want to let go of it.

Oh, and try out LOTS of different amps. You HAVE to find one that has a GREAT 'clean' setting and a decent variable 'dirty' (distortion) setting.

Picks. You'll want a good selection of the thin ones (.35mm) all the way up to the thick ones (.2mm)

Cords, be sure to get a quality cord that you know isn't going to break easily and cut out on you when you're plugging your guitar in for the 100th time.

Tuners... Can't really go wrong with those. I recommend the Korg CA-30 chromatic one. It's cheap, but LOTS of people (even me) use the hell out of it.

Time. Umm.... Get lots of this. You'll want plenty of it to have to yourself so that you can try stuff out and not have to worry about having to leave right when you're starting to learn something exciting.

Ditch your girlfriend. You'll have time for another one once you're great at guitar (take this how you want... I'm pretty much feeling goofy, so just disregard this one)

Strings. Are. Important! Thin gauges will be easier to play by far, but go out of tune rather quick compared to most of the thicker ones. I moved up in thickness quite a bit at one point and realized that it was putting WAY too much stress on my guitar neck and bridge (floating bridges sound cool, but unless you understand physics... They are going to be your WORST enemy when stringing up and tuning a guitar)

Hmmm..... What else to think of....

jhammel85

I learned to play bass by just playing along with my favorite albums. My 1st were the songs I learned from the 1st 3 Metallica albums.

I kinda rolled into guitar too. Thats pretty much what I play now. Best advice I can say is learn some of your favorite songs with a book and practice!

I'm also into Mountain Biking and Homebrewing Beer :beer::yahoo:

User Name missing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wife, 5 yr old twins, work, house............those are my hobbies..........well every now again I get to go biking by myself. Nuttn like pedaling my ass off for some piece and quiet!

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Building model vehicles that will look nothing what the box makes them to be:

and also working on mechanics and small projects with my buddies.

rangercrawler

Reaction score
If you're not interested in music theory and you just want to be an excellent guitar player the best advice I can give you is to learn as many songs as possible, that's the fastest way to play great. Also learn a lot of scales and solos too. I've been playing ten years and that is the best way to learn in my opinion.

pastor bubba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I do models, mostly stockcars out of kits or out of cardboard which is something my dad taught me. I also collect slot cars, HO, 1/32 and 1/24 and have some old toys. I also am learning how to build real cars and am currently working on an 80 AMC Spirit. I removed the old 6 and put in a 360 but have a 401 that may end up in it by the end of summer.

Crunch2690

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The best thing to do when learning guitar is to learn as many chords and scales as possible. And then look up tabs to your favorite songs and play along with them.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Riding motorcycles. Getting slow in a corner at 50 mph is AWESOME!

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
One of the things I do in my spare time is work with a community theater group. You won't see my face on stage, but you WILL see my handy work. I help build the sets and work backstage.

Plus, since our studio and performance space are on oppiset sides of town, I also drive the big U-Haul that gets rented every show. Heck my Ranger even gets put to use hauling some of the smaller bits that get left behind or need to be added in order to make the set work safely.

I've made some cool, wonderful friends, picked up some new skills (like stage rigging), and have had a blast doing so!

Here's the link to the group I'm involved with: http://www.communityplayersofconcord.org/

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've been a collector up until recently...Employment Insurance, Disability, Welfare...but I especially like the calls from other collectors...the tax man, various banks and financial institutions...:)

OK...One of my favourite hobbies is music, but I don't play an instrument...unless you call a CD player an instrument...but I like singing along with the oldies...going 80 km/h down the highway is much safer than in front of other people though...so I've found...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals