• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Holley 1920 1bbl, Anyone fimilar?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Dodge slant 6 carburetor, non-EGR pre-73, real bad hesitation when taking it to WOT in park. Should I be able to see a shot of fuel from the accelerator pump looking down the venturi when throttle is taken to WOT? Seems like the accelerator pump is not working; the diaphragm rod seems to be taking a long time to push the fuel through. Wondering if anyone is familiar with one of these, or has a slant 6 that could look for me. Thanks.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like an accellerator pump issue.i used to deal with the earlier version of that carb on the old(early 60s)falcons,and it's one of the simplest carbs in the world to work on.

but with any carb,when you open the throttle you should see the squirt of fuel from the accellerator pump.
well,on carbs that use one,anyway.do it with the engine off.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Tried with the truck off and on, but there's an atomizer(?) in the middle and wasn't sure if I was missing it. Accelerator pump was the first thing that came to mind when I first hear it run, but seems to be happy otherwise. Just trying to be optimistic that I don't need to buy a rebuilt kit, but I guess it's time to take it apart and see what is going on.

And really did think it was weird that the diaphragm arm was moving back in so slow, I tried pushing it back in by hand, it didn't want to go and didn't increase any fuel as far as I could see. My 2.0L vacuum lines are a ship wreck, so I researched random 1bbls to find a simple one that could work, and this is what I ended up with. I do need to get the timing set, the dist was loose, and plug off all of the vacuum taps with plugs. But hesitation was there no matter where I had the timing.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like someone had already been putzing around in the carb. I think the PO soaked the metering block in something it shouldn't have been in. The coating is flaking away and gas has been eating away at the metering block. It's a real mess. Got a bad deal.

Couldn't find a new metering block (and I am sure I wouldn't want to pay for one, this needs to be cheap; the truck just needs to make a couple of trips to the scrap yard, then the 2.0L is out), so time to change streams. :dunno:

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Are any of those flakes getting in the jets? Does it have jets? I had a hunk of teflon tape come off (yes, I used teflon tape on the fuel filter) and plugged my primary jet...ran like a dog until I went fishing for that tape...

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just a regular Holley jet. Yeah, all of that crap was where ever gas was; lots of trash floating around in the fuel bowl. I am sure a new metering block and kit would make it useable, but hard to find one for a price I would want to pay lol. :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals