• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Holley cam 350 jet size

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 83 ranger with duraspark conversion and my carb was terrible, there were missing parts on it, anyways I bought a 350 cfm and any suggestions what size jets I should put I live in Arizona where elevation is 203 ft

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I am not a holley fan, however with that said, this question will depend on many factors. what internal changes have you done to the engine? is it stock? and where are you looking for your power band to flow to? What happens with the jets that it came with? does it idle correctly? does it engage in a nice acceleration now? does it bog down at any point in the power curve when you have the truck on the road? does it sputter and back fire? is your timing at 100% correct for the power band you are trying to achieve?

cheers and you tube might be worth watching some "how do i set up a carb" vids

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The auto lite 1.21 Venturi is a 351 cfm carb and does not work well on the 2.8. There is not enough air flow to vaporize the fuel properly. You can try smaller jet sizes but like was said you will likely have huge dead spot issues when you step on the foot feed quickly. Carb spacer felpro 60529 is recommended with new gaskets on either side will address any vacuum leaks.Be sure and lightly surface the base of the carb and pull it down snug. A common problem is over tightening a carb down always use new gaskets and pull it down even and snug.

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I like Holley carbs best but 350 cfm is way more than you want on a 2.8 unless it's built up and will be run at high rpms. If you have a relatively stock 289 or 302 it would work fine.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I like Holley carbs best but 350 cfm is way more than you want on a 2.8 unless it's built up and will be run at high rpms. If you have a relatively stock 289 or 302 it would work fine.
So do you think smaller jets might help because I already bought the carb I was looking online that the 1.08 Venturi is the best option but I didn’t go through with it

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
The jets need to be matched to the air flow or it'll run lean. Stick it on and drive it a little to see how it runs, then pull a couple of plugs to see what they look like. If you already own it, it's worth a shot.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The jets need to be matched to the air flow or it'll run lean. Stick it on and drive it a little to see how it runs, then pull a couple of plugs to see what they look like. If you already own it, it's worth a shot.
Pull the spark plugs? If so what am I looking for?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
The color to indicate how rich or lean it's running. Plugs used to look light gray when gas had lead in it, you're looking for a tan to light brown most likely. You can look it up on the internet to see examples. Really dark or black means you should try leaner jets, I usually go a couple sizes at a time- for example, if you have 69s, try 67s. My Mustang and truck both have Holley 80457 carbs(600, vacuum secondary, electric choke), the truck engine is closer to stock and the jets are factory, the Mustang is a little stouter and I leaned it out 3 sizes.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The color to indicate how rich or lean it's running. Plugs used to look light gray when gas had lead in it, you're looking for a tan to light brown most likely. You can look it up on the internet to see examples. Really dark or black means you should try leaner jets, I usually go a couple sizes at a time- for example, if you have 69s, try 67s. My Mustang and truck both have Holley 80457 carbs(600, vacuum secondary, electric choke), the truck engine is closer to stock and the jets are factory, the Mustang is a little stouter and I leaned it out 3 sizes.
Perfect thanks for the help but I had one more question, at the moment the carb I have has an electric choke but it is not hooked up what wires do I run to hook it up on my new one

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
The Holley electric choke needs a 12v source, the hot wire on the wiper motor is easy to tap into. The original 2150 had a hot air tube running to the exhaust manifold and used stator voltage from the alternator to speed up choke opening, I think about 7 volts.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
wouldn't it be better to wire an electric choke into a key on ignition only source? I actually have wired in a 4 spade plug/fuse from a relay that is wired to key on for things exactly like this.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So the choke has two connections one from the alternator and the other?

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
black wire ground, red to Key on/ignition live. i would not wire it to alternator. Didn't a new carb come with owners manual?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
wouldn't it be better to wire an electric choke into a key on ignition only source? I actually have wired in a 4 spade plug/fuse from a relay that is wired to key on for things exactly like this.
There's a key on source at the wiper motor that's easy to tap into but it's obviously not the only one. Wiring a Holley choke to the alternator stator terminal would cause the choke to stay on way too long.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys appreciate the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals