• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

homemade or pro...

lone ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I got a ? what is the purpose of having a probuild your box when you can build it your self? :icon_confused: It is kinda dumb spending thousands when you can have the nicest system in town for a coulple of hundred...

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
one its really not that much money for them to build you one. iv had three custom built boxes. two were power wedges to fit behind a seat. with a ten in each one. for 75bucks a pop they measured made had feet to make it sit level on the odd shape floor made to the correct size i needed for the sub, and color matched to match the inter. a plus is if you mess it up its on you if they measured and mess up i just come back 4 hours later, and its still 75 bucks. handy dandy if you dont have the tools, skill or time/desire to do it. and its color matched.

now im all about best bang for your buck but i also like to do it once and not ever 1-2 years. having to replace stuff. and its very easy to spend alot of money and have not gone over bored.
i dont think i went over bored and here is the run down in my truck

DVD 3.5 inch wide screen single din head unit...........................$300
alpine speakers all around ....................................................$300
dinamat.............................................................................$75
2 alpine amps one rms 400wx4 and one mono rms 600wx1......... $550
15 kicker...........................................................................$200
custom 15 box....................................................................$125
amp rack ..........................................................................$100
wire kit/ power block............................................................$100

thats almost $1800!!!!!!!!

and i ran the wires did the speakers installed the head unit. ect.
the only thing really extra was the amp rack but i actually the back of the truck so i had to. so i could protect my amps.

dru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what kind of box are you talking about? ive never seen a box that costs thousand's. premade boxes are quick and usually better quality than (most) homebuilt boxes ive come across.

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
premade boxes at partsexpress are only like 40 bucks tops

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
what kind of box are you talking about? ive never seen a box that costs thousand's. premade boxes are quick and usually better quality than (most) homebuilt boxes ive come across.
x2

iv rarely see a box home built that's better the store or even looks better

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
theres nothing wrong with having a custom audio shop building you a box. they usually have a table saw, so their cuts will be perfect. that means the pieces will sit flush with another(less chance of air escaping). also they usually glue and nail the boxes. they know how to properly brace the box if its needs it. the box will built specifically for your aplication for best results. and they usually can carpet those boxes really good.

like someone above said, not everyone has the tools, knowledge or desire to build their own box. so having a custom audio shop build you one is a great alternative. there are doityourselfer's thats work will rival high end shops.

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ive installed car steros all my life, my good friend has also. when he built his jeep he had everything pro installed, why??? when you have over 6k watts runnin threw your jeep a warrenty is a good thing. he had a jeep cherokee with a wall behind the backseat, 4 RF hx2 2 amps in a rack and all compnets were RF with an alpine head unit, 25 farad cap custom made by RF. anyways it was like 15k for this system. he blew the box apart like 6 times and popped all 4 subs at different times. and every time all he had to do was take it in and dropp it off and in a few hours it was ready to go.

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
when the pros install they do it everyday so they ll know what size and style of a box to use for maximum results plus they have those decibal tuners for fine tuning.
but i refuse to spend money when i can build one myself just make sure u research well before u start and i found that shrink wrap tupes work really well for the bass ports.
also use that foam board to make templates.

c_lower

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
my stepdad made me a box that costs 230$. it costed him 23$. id say i got a deal on that. and it fits my truck perfect and has just as good quality.

littleme13

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the biggest problem with building your own box is having the tools to do it right. for lower powered subs its ok to build a basic box. but when you start running highend and powerfull stuff it can get tricky. bracing a box can get tricky and sealing it is almost impossiable if its not perfectly straight. nothing like the sound of slapping wood.

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
if you have basic wood working skills and know how to seal brace port and vent properly then make it yourself. They look good, come out the dimensions you want, and its basically the cost of the mdf. I always make mine and its great because you can have ideal conditions for you woofer. The only time pro stuff costs a lot is if its custom molded stuff.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
If you have good basic woodworking skills, then build your own. Prefabs are cheap because they use 5/8-inch istead of 3/4. They are stapled together instead of screws.

Building your own box is not that hard. For some basic advice please read this thread

http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=7031

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals