• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

homemade steering extender

dirtsquirrel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
in the last little bit i have decided to lift my ranger, so i found myself some 3 inch body lift blocks,i still need to get the steering extender and shifter extender, but i was wondering if you really need the shifter extender for a manual tranny,also i priced out a steering extender and there way to much so i was wondering if its possible to make one,also how hard would it be to make it and has anybody made one before that can give me some advice or some pics that could help me out, thx

93_RangerSC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you dont neccesarly gotta have the shift extender but your stick will be real close to the floor and makes it harder to shift

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
,also i priced out a steering extender and there way to much
A what, $60 part is "way too much"?? I'm sorry, but steering really isn't something you should skimp on PERIOD. The last thing you want is whatever contraption you made failing on you and you ending up head-on with a civic with 2 adults and 2 children in it. Spend the money, do it right, don't be a cheapass hackjob.

EDIT: How much was that steering extention quote? And no, a shift extention isn't needed. You may have to trim the floor pan to allow the shifter to actually shift though. The boot and bezel will be retarded, but seeing as though a pretty damn important part of the lift is "too much" money for you, you really won't care what the inside looks like.

Last edited:

dirtsquirrel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well if it was $60 i wouldent skimp out i would just get it but i got priced out at almost $200 which for $250 i could just get bran new lift

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The extender should have come with the lift block kit. If not, call the manufacturer. If it's used I'd call the manufacturer and have them send you one. There may be enough to do it without one, but as stated earlier. DON'T SKIMP ON STEERING! It may be my life that you save.

joshnlsn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I extended my steering shaft by welding in a piece of tubeing,but with that being said it is not a street truck and i am confident in my welding skills.

SHADY

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I extended my steering shaft by welding in a piece of tubeing,but with that being said it is not a street truck and i am confident in my welding skills.
I hope I'm not on the trail with you.
our club don't let any welded steering stuffit will let go at the wrong time like when your dowbn hill pointin at a tree

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
our club don't let any welded steering stuffit will let go at the wrong time like when your dowbn hill pointin at a tree
So, how do the 'experts' in your club build custom steering? Is everythign bored out and threaded to accept rod ends or TRE's? I bet a few guys that have built their own steering have used weld-in thread adapters, hopefully they used rosette welds in addiiton to the butt welds though.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well if it was $60 i wouldent skimp out i would just get it but i got priced out at almost $200 which for $250 i could just get bran new lift
Damn....lifts for your year are literally about $150. Alot cheaper than mine because yours doesn't get bumper brackets. Lifts for mine are about $250. Should been smart and searced around, isead of seeing 3" tall blocks for $20. That's the cheapest part of the kits.

dirtsquirrel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Damn....lifts for your year are literally about $150. Alot cheaper than mine because yours doesn't get bumper brackets. Lifts for mine are about $250. Should been smart and searced around, isead of seeing 3" tall blocks for $20. That's the cheapest part of the kits.
really wow, im gettin ripped off then,well im going to look into it more then

dirtsquirrel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
for the steering extender, its not like im going to mickymouse one together, i think i have all the equiptment that might be neccessary to make one like, cnc machine,milling machine, lathe,gas,mig,tig,stick welders at my work and at my school,also im in my apprenticeship for welding and my welds have been tested and there a strong weld.

_BEYONDER_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just my 2cents, but wouldnt it be an idea for someone to post a pic of an extender from a kit? then go from there, especially if you have access to that kind of equiptment?

joshnlsn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks JohnnyU. And SHADY i am only giving my opinion,if you don't agree thats fine but don't be a b!tch, I am glad i am not part of your CLUB because it sounds like you don't get off the pavement:thefinger: I am sorry for the rant but that p!$$es me off:icon_bounceblue:

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have no clue what the steering extention looks like or if it's the same as mine, but I can provide pics of 98+ extentions...

It only fits one way...the stock shaft has a flat bottom and a rounded top and the inside of the extention is machined to match with very tight tolerances.

IDK if it'll help much, but here ya go...all I got...

If you can get to a junkyard, take a hacksaw to the steering shaft on both sides of the bolt to use for mock up. I believe total extention, bolt to bolt is approx 2".

Again, absolutely NO CLUE what Gen3's have steering shaft wise. Pics shown are 98+.

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic

wow, only 7 posts and you already seem like a douche. your club sounds gay, and probably doesnt get any more extreme than splashin through some puddles.:thefinger:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals