• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hooking up fuel lines from a FI truck to carb motor

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
well i used the search couldnt find the exact answer, but heres my story

i got a 92 ranger im swappin a 92 302, it was efi im going carb, now to hook up the fuel lines i read that i cant just toss a regulator into the feed line n im done i gotta do something with the return line?

I was talking to the guys at a local race car parts store n they were saying that i could just unhook the power to the intank pump, run a new external pump n regulator n connect it to the feed line n it will just suck the fuel out threw the line an i wont have to worry about my original pump in the tank burning out with out a return to it? I read that if i just use my stock intank pump an plug the return my pump will fry itself

Does that make sense?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't see how the frame mounted pump is gonna draw fuel thru the EFI pump. I dropped the tank on my 89 and cut the wires to the EFI pump, then removed the rubber check valve from the return ,, then extended the line to draw closer to the tank bottom and used it to feed the frame mounted pump (Mr Gasket 12S) No regulator needed for this pump. You'll also need to run a new wire from the ignition, thru the impact switch then to the pump. Or just use the EFI pump (and hope it works without the computer, mine didn't) and use a return style regulator

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I lost the in tank fuel pump on my older system the other pump created a vacuum between the two pumps.When it reached say 80 degrees on some little dirt road it would vapor lock and die.If you want to put a pump in line I would take out the in tank pump.Baddad 457 is right and you will need a new circuit for it.

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ok ya the way baddad says is what ill do sounds pretty easy to do it that way.

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
I don't see how the frame mounted pump is gonna draw fuel thru the EFI pump. I dropped the tank on my 89 and cut the wires to the EFI pump, then removed the rubber check valve from the return ,, then extended the line to draw closer to the tank bottom and used it to feed the frame mounted pump (Mr Gasket 12S) No regulator needed for this pump. You'll also need to run a new wire from the ignition, thru the impact switch then to the pump. Or just use the EFI pump (and hope it works without the computer, mine didn't) and use a return style regulator
So when the computer doesnt recognize the change how do you fix this? Im going to be running into the same problem next week when I set up my new lines with the 12s pump.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So when the computer doesnt recognize the change how do you fix this? Im going to be running into the same problem next week when I set up my new lines with the 12s pump.
:dunno: I just bypassed the computer with a new circuit. Didn't need the computer anyway. I ran a wire from the positive side of the coil, to the impact kill switch (mine was inder the passenger side front floor carpet) then back to the new fuel pump, grounded the pump to the frame. Pump needs to be as close to and/or below the tank, or as low on the frame rail as posssible. Make sure the pump assembly O ring seals when you put it back in the tank. Mine did not and I caught hell with water getting in the tank, the front of the bed drained directly onto the pump assembly top.

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Ok great thx baddad as always your a major help to everyones projects!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals