• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Horrible gas mileage

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So we have an 04 E350 super duty van with the SOHC 5.4 auto. Over the course of a couple months the gas mileage has tanked. Yes I know I shouldn't expect 16mpg, but I should be getting better than 7mpg, we have been getting 7-8mpg average. We do about 80% city and 20% highway. The CEL isn't on and I have recently replaced the coolant and serp belt.*Anyone have any suggestions?
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Filters and plugs. That should still be a 2V engine, so no vct system to cause problems.

Postin' from teh Galaxy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Try putting premium gas in and see what that does, Avoid ethanol blend fuels like the plague. Ethanol blend fuels really drop the fuel mileage I started putting only premium in and the mileage increase more than pays for the extra cost each fill up.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I agree with filters and plugs...especially filters...air filters...and check the tire pressure...nothing like loosing 20 psi when the weather turns warmer...

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Filters and plugs. That should still be a 2V engine, so no vct system to cause problems.

Postin' from teh Galaxy

Oh lord, doing plugs on this thing is a PITA lol, but if it helps ill do it.

Try putting premium gas in and see what that does, Avoid ethanol blend fuels like the plague. Ethanol blend fuels really drop the fuel mileage I started putting only premium in and the mileage increase more than pays for the extra cost each fill up.
All it gets is non ethanol, I avoid the 10% ethanol pretty much at all cost.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On Fuel Injected engines they use a temperature sensor as the Choke, this is called the ECT sensor(engine coolant temp), this is a 2 wire sensor not a 1 wire that would be used for the dash board gauge.

The ECT is a resistance sensor so easy to test
The PCM(computer) supplies the sensor with 5volts and then monitors the return voltage, the lower the return voltage is the colder the engine, so sensor has high resistance when cold and lower resistance when warm.
As long as this sensor is passing voltage there will be no CEL.

When the PCM is "told" by the ECT that the engine is cold the PCM will run the engine rich and with advanced timing, like a Choke did, as the voltage passing through the sensor increases the PCM starts to lean out the mixture.
If the ECT is not increasing voltage as it warms up then engine runs rich all the time, sending MPG into the basement.

You can test the ECT(usually located near the t-stat housing), with an OHM or volt meter.
With an OHM meter remove the ECT connector and test it's resistance, with engine cold this should be a high number.
Reconnect ECT start engine and drive it, when you get back home after engine has warmed up test ECT again, remove connector and test, resistance should be much lower.

Now to add more confusion some ECT sensors are reversed, they get more resistance as they get warm, so voltage goes down when engine warms up.
But for testing purposes what you are looking for is a difference when cold and hot, that's the main point.

A Voltage test must be done with key on engine off, set Volt meter to 20volts DC and use pins(sewing pins) to pierce the wires, test voltage cold and then hot, should be a 4v change, +/- .5v

The 5.4 also has a CHT sensor(cylinder head temp), I don't think this is used for part of the Choke, although it could be used to change air/fuel mixture.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals